Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ovarian Cyst Pain Relief?

Thanks

Default Ovarian Cyst Pain Relief?

Hey all. I know this is not directly lupus-related, but I also know a good number of women here have dealt with ovarian cysts. I've had abdominal pain for about three months now, and I just learned that this is because I have a 5cm cyst on one of my ovaries (found this out from ultrasound tech). This sucker hurts. I'm in enough pain that I am having trouble focusing at work, my usual naproxen/tramadol combo for leg pain isn't touching this cyst pain, and the gynecologist hasn't called me back to discuss the ultrasound or returned my rather pathetic-sounding voicemail message begging for any pain-relief suggestions.

So I turn to you. People who get pain. People who have figured out ways to manage pain.

Is there anything else I can do to manage this pain? When will it go away? It's really starting to get to me. This makes my leg pain look practically pleasant in comparison.

Thanks

I can't answer your question about pain relieve, but I want to tell you, what happened to me.
    I was 12 years old, that was in 1968, I had very bad pain on the right side of my abdomen. My mom took me to the doctor, at that time there was no ultra sound and because it was the right side that hurt, the assumed it was my appendix. Had surgery the same day and to everybodies surprise, I had a cyst on my ovary, the size of a large grapefruit. Wel,l they took out the cyst and the appendix, even though there was nothing wrong with my appendix. The pain was gone as soon as I woke up.
    You might have to have surgery, if your pain becomes unbearable.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-03-2012)

Thanks

Ugh, so the nurse -- not doctor, who I was hoping would call so I could ask some questions -- called to say they're giving me a scrip for Vicodin and to have a follow up ultrasound in six weeks. This is incredibly frustrating because I don't like narcotics, and besides, I cannot take narcotics during the day when I'm at work because I need to be able to stay mentally sharp. So the pain is bothering me the most at work, but the only thing they say might help with it, I can only take at night, which isn't when my pain is most bothersome!

I know this is just the way things are, but I'm so frustrated. I had just gotten control of leg pain that had haunted me for a YEAR. Now this, which is many times worse? And there's NOTHING I can do about it? This is so frustrating. I know it's just pain from a benign, non-life-threatening, probably non-chronic condition, but it feels like the straw that is breaking this camel's back. What I'd give to be pain-free (or even in just regular old minimal pain) for a week, a day-- even an hour!

Blah.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    I can't answer your question about pain relieve, but I want to tell you, what happened to me.
    I was 12 years old, that was in 1968, I had very bad pain on the right side of my abdomen. My mom took me to the doctor, at that time there was no ultra sound and because it was the right side that hurt, the assumed it was my appendix. Had surgery the same day and to everybodies surprise, I had a cyst on my ovary, the size of a large grapefruit. Wel,l they took out the cyst and the appendix, even though there was nothing wrong with my appendix. The pain was gone as soon as I woke up.
    You might have to have surgery, if your pain becomes unbearable.

Debbie
    OMG this is EXACTLY what happened to me in the 70s! Same exact story!

I also have had them off and on for the decades since and the first thing they usually do is put you on birth control pills. The hormones will often times reduce the size of the cysts and even make them go away. You have to be careful with these cysts. They can burst and become life threatening so if the pain becomes too bad or if you begin to run a fever make sure you go straight to the ER.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-03-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    OMG this is EXACTLY what happened to me in the 70s! Same exact story!

I also have had them off and on for the decades since and the first thing they usually do is put you on birth control pills. The hormones will often times reduce the size of the cysts and even make them go away. You have to be careful with these cysts. They can burst and become life threatening so if the pain becomes too bad or if you begin to run a fever make sure you go straight to the ER.
    Mari,
    This is exactly what I told Derrie in another thread because all four of my girls have dealt with them from the time that they were 12 or 13.
    As I said in that thread, I'm convinced that ovarian cysts are yet another sign of AI issues in the family.
    Hugs,
    Marla

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-03-2012), tgal (07-03-2012)

Thanks

Y'all are wonderful. Hopefully, this thing doesn't burst. I live alone, and I don't really no anyone where I live (family is thousands of miles away). No idea what I'd do if I had to get myself to the ER. Probably should think about that, huh?

Thanks

Derrie,
    Yes, I think that an emergency plan is important for all of us.
    Perhaps you can make friends with a neighbor and make an agreement to help each other out in emergencies.
    My neighbor was recently hospitalized for a week, so I fed his cat and little dog for that week.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Oh my god, my dog! I didn't even think of her! While I can be a little blase about a plan for myself, the idea of my dog being abandoned if I was in the hospital is just unacceptable. I have some pleasant neighbors who have watched my dog before-- I'll talk to them. Marla, thanks so much for reminding me of arrangements I might need to make. I've never been hospitalized, and I've only been to the ER once in my life (to get some stitches). These sorts of things just don't occur to me half the time.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Sorry I missed that in another thread, Marla! I never though of the possible AI connection. I may have to look into that! Thanks!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have had lots of cysts on my ovaries since I started my period at 11 years old (way too damn early if you ask me). When I was young they only treated me with midol and as I got older, in my higher teens I saw a gyno and he switched me over to a drug called Mefenemic Acid, I don't know its other name. It did wonders for the pain and took down the swelling and the cysts. Every ultrasound they'd find them, and multiple ones. Couple of years later I was diagnosed with Endometriosis and that was treated first with birth control pills, and now today I am taking the Depo Provera shot to avoid the risk of blood clotting from the BC pills since I always have a risk of that because of an antibody. It REALLY helps keep the abdominal pain down and I haven't had any cysts in a long time. It is however, like pills always seem to be, not one you should take for a very long time as it can be hard on your stomach and cause ulcers, which I've had. I've never needed to have any of the cysts removed because they never got too large before they shrunk again, they'd just keep growing everywhere, all over my ovaries.

Anti inflamms will work better for your pain than a regular pain killer.
    Last edited by Hunniebun; 07-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-04-2012)