Thread: Exercise?

Thanks

Default Exercise?

Hmmm I don't like this subject but it's time to do something I've already lost about 25 lbs since this time last year, and thankfully it's staying off for the most part. But my arms are flabby and don't get me started on my stomach. My dr has already cleared me to do moderate exercise but what does that really mean? I know if I do too much I'll head straight into a flare (ask me how I know that one LOL) but I've already shrank 2 inches in the last 4 years so I think I need to strengthen my bones as well as the flab. any suggestions? What do you do for exercise? Going to a gym is out, it costs too much, but I do have an exercise machine at home (I have the bowflex -I think that is the name of it). And obviously outside is out, other than walking in the evening with a big old witch hat (that's what I call it, I wore it yesterday and one of dh's coworkers from the sheriff's dept was doing patrol and was laughing his butt off in his car as he drove by LOL). So what do you do? Or recommend?

Thanks

I do 15 minutes of light cardio (jogging, fast walk) every other day and a 45 minute to an hour walk with my dog daily.

Thanks

Arthritis Foundation sponsored pools are a God send!!!!!!! That is all I have to say about that.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default excercise

Excercise is an extremeley important topic.
    When i was diagnosed my dr suggested swimming.
    It being very gentle on the joints, a great cardio excercise and for strength
    training.
    Yoga(although i have never tried it out myself) is also a great workout,might also become a way of life, to strengthe and tone the body.

NB. Like most activities lupus related, Excercise should be done in moderation .

Atleast 20 to 30 minutes a day of light to moderate excercise should do the trick.

IMPORTANT!!! Any excercise regime involves 90% diet!!!

check out "abs diet power"

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've also heard that Pilates (beginners and with the band and the ball) is good for strengthening and tone. Especially if you want to do exercise indoors and in the privacy of your home.
    Like Morpheus said, exercising is very important. It helps to rebuild our immunity, increase our stamina and promote overall better health.
    Start very moderately (maybe 10 minutes/day - two times/day) and increase your time and exertion as your body becomes more fit. Using light handweights can help with toning your arms (3-5 pounds). I usually do my arm exercises with hand weights while I'm sitting and watching television. I also do leg lifts, scissors and butterflies while sitting and watching television. In fact, I had a doctor who once told me to make everything I do a part of my exercise routine, for example:
    Washing dishes...lift up and down on my toes for calf toning.
    drying off after shower/bath.......put legs on edge of tub or sink, flex and point foot to stretch the quadriceps, hamstrings and calves.
    Lying in bed......contract and push out tummy to help with muscles tone.
    By doing this, I am actually doing some sort of exercise all day long, but never over-exerting myself.
    I hope that this helps. Keep up the good work and I wish you the best!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Everyone is different, and you MUST talk to your doc before you start headlong into exercise. The warm pools are heavenly - unless you can't take the chlorine (sigh...)

I work out 4-5 days/week, eliptical, treadmill, light weights, etc. My routine is a LOT lighter than it was 10 years ago - then I did an hour and a half of heavy sweating. Now I do about 45 minutes to an hour, some days I sweat, some days I take it s.l.o.w.l.y.... and don't even breathe hard. But the movement helps me feel better, gives me some energy as well.

If you do start working out, remember to listen to your body. Some days you can push a bit and other days go easy. Don't "go for the burn" like we used to in the 80's (good old Jane Fonda!) as exercising THAT hard will hurt a LOT later. Light weights. I avoid aerobics classes now - I'm just competitive enough that I feel compelled to "keep up," and REGRET it later! :roll: So going my own, on a treadmill at MY speed, not the speed of the young "whipper-snapper" on the one next to me.... that works.

Thanks

I also like Pilates. I have two small kids and a husband that works long hours, so going anywhere is out. I got a tape and after awhile, I memorized it. Now (on the good days!) I like to do it without the tape on my own while watching Oprah or something.

Thanks

Yoga has been great not only for my joints, but also for my outlook on like and calming effects. There are MANY different kind of yogas, so sometimes you have to try a few before finding what's right for you. I recommend a class, not videos (whole different experience). Once you learn it, you can practice at home and attend class less frequently. I've gone once a week for the last 2 1/2 years.
    Missy