Thread: Methotrexate and hair loss

Thanks

Default Methotrexate and hair loss

Hey all,

I usually post in "Lauri's Lounge" but this being a medicine issue I thought this was a better place.

I have been on 20mg of methotrexate pills for about 3 years. Within those 3 years I have been switched from the pill form to the liquid form for a while and then back to pill form. When I first started methx hair loss was not an issue, however, within the past 6-9 months the hair loss has increased quite a bit. I would not say exponentially but definitely a very noticeable increase. To the point that when I saw my doctor 2 months ago she said "hmm, looks like your hair is thinning".

All this being said, I have been doing some heavy duty research online and, as many of you probably know, hair loss is a side effect of methx, it is, after all, a drug used to treat cancer. Well, I have found all sorts of info but no information of anyone actually experiencing exactly what I am. I read people's comments saying they have experienced no or very little hair loss. I found someone who was losing a bit more hair but no other information of course of action or ideas on how to best cope with this issue.

Some days I am angry, some days sad and crying and some days I think, well I can buy a wig of any hair color I like. You know, just trying to stay positive. But honestly, I am mostly sad because I am not quite sure how to feel, or what to think.

Thank you all for reading and if you have any experience with methx and hair loss please share it with me. I think that by sharing our stories, both good, bad and everything in between we help each other out more than we could ever possibly imagine.

All my love,
    Samo

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i remember discussing this last year.

quite a few of our members use biotin.

hopefully one of them will comment about it for you.

Thanks

Hiya Samo,

I'm currently on Methotrexate (or as I like to call it the "zombie-med").

I had issues with hairloss but my rhuemy has me taking Leucovorin to help with the hairloss. I take 22.5mg (9 2.5 mg tabs) of MTX on Sunday and then follow up with 15mg of the leucovoruin 6hrs after my last dose of MTX.

-Shu

Thanks

i dont take methotrexate, but i am losing my hair, very frustrating! i hope you find an answer to your problem
    lisa
    dx with sle 02/2012 on 10 mg prednisone, 20 mgs simvistatin 7.5 mg meloxicam ,400mg plaquenil,12.5 mgs methotrexate

Thanks

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and reply.

Shu, thank you for telling me about Leucovorin I had not heard about that medicaiton and will be asking my rheumy about it. Steve, thank you for mentioning biotin. I will search the WHL site for previous posts.

Hugs! Samo

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I lost the majority of my hair when I was on Methotrexate. I do not miss being on that stuff, my hair never did grow back to before methotrexate

Thanks

Hi Samo
    My wife is on methotrexate for the last 15 odd months. We noticed a loss of hair but could not be certain it was the methotrexate as she was also on altroxin which is known to cause hair loss. She resorted to a short back and sides haircut which seems to have worked a little. Regards Mahomed