Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brain fog

Thanks

Default Brain fog

I've noticed that as time goes on, I have more and more trouble remembering things and having a conversation. If I go out to eat, sometimes I have a hard time reading the menu because there's too much noise going on. Sometimes I can't even listen to music. Is this normal? Will it go away? I feel like I'm getting stupid or something.

Thanks

Or like you have Altzheimer's?

Do you ever try to speak but the words get stuck on your teeth? You KNOW in your brain what you want to say, but it won't come out? But, you can write it all out just fine?

That's what I get most of the time... So, I avoid talking on the phone... I use email and text messaging... A LOT!!

It sucks.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi AlloWeyo
    What you are experiencing is not uncommon for people with Lupus. People with lupus do often experience signs associated with the body's nervous system, such as : headaches, confusion, difficulty with concentration, fatigue,occasional seizures or strokes. At some point during the course of their lupus, up to 50 percent of lupus patients describe these feelings. This collection of symptoms is called "Cognitive Dysfunction" and is usually found in people with mild to moderately active SLE. These symptoms may be clearly documented by neuropsychological testing, and a newer neurodiagnostic test called the single positron emission computed tomography (SPECT) scan shows reproducible blood flow abnormalities.
    The reasons for these symptoms are not known. It may have something to do with changes in how a group of chemicals known as cytokines are handled or may be related to certain parts of the brain not getting enough oxygen.
    The nervous system requires an uninterrupted flow of blood to supply its tissues with oxygen and nutrients necessary for normal functioning. A number of possibilities have been suggested to explain how lupus may cause the many symptoms of nervous system involvement :
    1.Nerve tissue may be damaged when antibodies attack nerve cells or blood vessels.

2.Nutrients and oxygen are delivered through blood vessels that feed the brain, spinal cord and nerves. If blood flow is slowed or interrupted, the cells of the nervous system are injured, unable to function normally, and symptoms develop.

3.The symptoms that occur vary depending on the location and extent of the tissue injury.

Cognitive dysfunction may come and go on its own so there is no optimal therapy for it. I have always suggested that taking care of our emotional health is just as important as caring for our physical health. Many people with lupus have reported that counseling/therapy has helped them in developing coping skills. Also, some have reported improvement when placed on antimalarials and/or steroids. Most helpful is the knowledge of knowing that you are not losing your abilities or your mind. Your memory problems and lack of concentration are symptoms of Lupus and you are not alone in having to deal with it.

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    This collection of symptoms is called "Cognitive Dysfunction" and is usually found in people with mild to moderately active SLE.
    Question: Does that mean it doesn't get worse as/if your Lupus gets worse?

Thanks

thanks for all the replies! I mean, the physical pain I can muddle through, but the cognative stuff is really getting to me. I'm finding it hard to get through school.

I'm going to go to a neuropsychologist soon.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Solesinger:
    From what my research has indicated, cognitive dysfunction has been reported by patients with mild to severe lupus. Also, there is a direct correlation to stress and worsening of cognitive dysfunction. So, I would imagine that as the disease progresses, stress progresses and cognitive dysfunction also progresses

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

...or, if stress worsens it, dealing successfully with stress might help it stay under control?

The dysfunction is exactly what I've had in waves ove rthe last months. i've found that if I do some deep breathing and REALLY focus, I can get through it. But there are days when the world seems...a mess.

Like when you get an "ear worm" - the music of an obnoxious commercial - in your brain and that is ALL you can hear all day. The other day I resorted to singing "Doe a Dear" to banish one by replacing it with another somewhat less obnoxious.

Anyway, the good days are ones with no ear worms and with all the words making it through my teeth (as SoleSinger so eloquently puts it!)

Hugs ~

Thanks

I love it! Words making it through my teeth... or not sometimes. :lol:

One other thing to remember is that many medications increase the brain fog. When I am taking steroids I can barely think... when I get off them, my brain comes back (whatever brain I had!)

Here's my brain process last night, all of this spoken out loud to the dog:

OK, I'm going to make a salad.

I want lettuce, tomato, cucumber and carrots. Lettuce tomato, cucumber carrrots [repeated about six times as I pull the items from the fridge and line them up on the counter.]

OK. Now I need a salad bowl.

And a knife.

And a peeler....

You get the picture!

Now, do you want to be really scared? I'm an architect in charge of several multimillion dollar construction projects :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks

LOL!! Sheryl, you are funny!!! I say they get stuck on my teeth instead of being on the tip of my tongue, because when something is stuck on the tip of your tongue you KNOW the word but you can't think of it... When they get stuck on my teeth, I KNOW the word, I CAN think of it, I just can't get it out of my mouth...
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    Solesinger:
    From what my research has indicated, cognitive dysfunction has been reported by patients with mild to severe lupus. Also, there is a direct correlation to stress and worsening of cognitive dysfunction. So, I would imagine that as the disease progresses, stress progresses and cognitive dysfunction also progresses

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Awww.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatlady

Like when you get an "ear worm" - the music of an obnoxious commercial - in your brain and that is ALL you can hear all day. The other day I resorted to singing "Doe a Dear" to banish one by replacing it with another somewhat less obnoxious.

OH!!! I hate that!! And you feel like saying someone give me something ANYTHING but this song!!!

The other thing I hate is having a GOOD song stuck in your head forever... You start to not like it so much... About a month ago I had Kenny Loggin's Danny's Song (You know the one? "Even though we ain't got money. I'm so inlove with ya honey, and everything will bring a chain of love...") for a WEEK AND A HALF STRAIGHT!!! Drove me nuts! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: