Thread: Why did this have to happen to me?

Thanks

Unhappy Why did this have to happen to me?

I remember having pains in my joints ever since I was little. I had these really bad pains and my mom would just tell me they are growing pains. I always thought that what I went through with the pains I was having was not normal. I started having chest pains when I was in 7th or 8th grade where I couldn't breath because every time I did it hurt really bad.

I have had blood tests done before in my life, but never any where they tested for anything specific that might explain what is causing the pain in my joints and the pain in my chest. The doctor wanted to test for Lupus because it can cause the symptoms I have.

I went to the doctor on the 22nd for my test results and the doctor told me the test results show I have Lupus.

I am scared and don't know what to think. Why did this have to happen to me? Will this shorten my life? I am so afraid what this will do to me. How will I ever get through this?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

First off, take a deep breath. It is going to be OK. Lupus doesn't have to be a deadly disease like it was 50 years ago. There are medicines that the doctor will give you that, if taken as directed, will most likely allow you to lead a relatively normal life. There are things that you may have to change (some of us can't spend much time in the sun or in UV lighting) but those are small things when you look at the big picture. You will get through this. Many young lupus patients go on to have families and children just like those without it.

Your life is not over. I am glad that you found us because there are people here of all ages and some have lived with this disease for 30 and 40 years. We will help you through this. Welcome to the WHL family
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I'm like you - I had lots of pains and cramps in my legs when I was a kid. Back then, even the docs just called it "growing pains". I think that quite a few of us here have noted that we had some mild symptoms long ago, but we didn't realize what it was all pointing to until we got a diagnosis.
    As Mari told you, many of us here are dealing with one or more autoimmune diseases, but once we find the right mix of meds, we keep going with our lives.
    Many of us have had to slow down a bit, but it's not the end of the world.
    Hang in there, and keep coming back with your questions and concerns.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Question My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    First off, take a deep breath. It is going to be OK. Lupus doesn't have to be a deadly disease like it was 50 years ago. There are medicines that the doctor will give you that, if taken as directed, will most likely allow you to lead a relatively normal life. There are things that you may have to change (some of us can't spend much time in the sun or in UV lighting) but those are small things when you look at the big picture. You will get through this. Many young lupus patients go on to have families and children just like those without it.

Your life is not over. I am glad that you found us because there are people here of all ages and some have lived with this disease for 30 and 40 years. We will help you through this. Welcome to the WHL family
    Okay. My doctor said he would put me on prednazone if he had to but he doesn't want to because it conflicts with the psych meds I am on. He said if he put me on it it could make me more manic.

I do not have problems with the sun, I lever have. I used to play on a softball team through my church and I was in the sun alot, it never bothered me and never has.

Thanks

I like to think that in this life, we aren't given anything that we aren't strong enough to handle or that we won't be able to get through and learn from. Getting the initial test results back...that is terrifying. But with time, I think you'll realize that it's not so frightening, and that you can face it and grow from it. I am sure that you are a strong person, and will still be able to have the full, happy life you want. Take some deep breaths; you've got this.