Thread: question about blood work

Thanks

Default question about blood work

Hello everyone,
    It has been a while since I have posted. I hope everyone is feeling well and having more good days than bad. I was wondering if anyone knows the question to this answer. I was looking through my blood work and i saw a test that my dr. mentioned very breifly. The test is the RIBOSMAL P PROTEIN. I believe it is one of the many tests that if it comes back postive (a result of 41 is a postive result) u may have SLE. my test results came back at 40 and the right up was equivocal. I am not sure what this means. I am one point away from being postive. I think my dr. was telling me that this part of the test is trying to show that my body is showing signs of SLE? i thought maybe someone would have an answer about this one particular test. I tried to google this test but everything that came up on it was just to confusing.
    Thanks
    Lynday

Thanks

I myself am not familiar with it but from what I gathered after searching it is it is very specific to lupus. If you are positive for it its a good indication of SLE and also that there could be CNS involvement, though there isn't very much data to completely support the CNS involvement.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit2 For This Useful Post:

lynday (06-24-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

By saying it is equivocal the doctor is saying that the test is inconclusive. He won't dismiss it not will he confirm a diagnosis based on that test.

Hope that helps
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

lynday (06-25-2012)