Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: malar rash on arms??

Thanks

Default malar rash on arms??

Can you get the same type of malar rash on your arms?

About 3 weeks ago now I got a sunburn (after being in the sun for about an hour, after 5pm). It was horrible, hurt like you wouldn't believe, had blisters/lesions, peeled, etc. Crazy for the small amount of sun I got. After it went away, it keeps coming back. I've been avoiding the sun, wearing sleeves, using sunblock, staying inside until the late evening, and yet everytime I go outside when the sun is out, or when I take a shower, I get red again. Just my arms and chest, where I had the sunburn. Is this the same type of rash as the butterfly rash? Or is it just photo-sensitivity??? Not sure what to make out of it. It doesn't hurt or anything, just gets very flushed (except the white "strap-marks")

Thanks

Hi, Wendy--

You can have a sun-sensitive rash on your arm, for sure. Check out Mayo's article on Polymorphous Light Eruption for an example of a sun-sensitive rash you can get on parts of your body: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pol...uption/DS00911.

But you can't get a malar rash on your arms. A malar rash describes where the rash is, not what the rash looks like. "Malar" means "on the jaw or cheekbones," and thus a malar rash is, by definition, a rash across your face. You can check out wikipedia to read a good, basic definition of a malar rash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malar_rash.

I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but I wanted to highlight the difference between malar rash and photosensitive rash.

Also, if this rash continues, I'd definitely go see a dermatologist. If it persists, they can biopsy it and get a better idea of what the rash is.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome!

You can't actually get a malar rash on your arms but there are many types of rashes that you can get from Lupus. Derrie explained it well in the post above. I agree, I think a dermatologist is the way to go
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

jolynnhughes (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Thank you for clearing it up! I think it is definitely a photo-sensitivity. Today I was fine, skin-wise. The only time I was in the sun was to go to Target and back, so just walking to and from the car, and then sitting in the car during the drive. I actually went to get more sunblock and a sunhat! And about an hour after I got home, my face felt so sore almost like a windburn feeling. I looked in the mirror and sure enough malar rash is back. Along with my arms and chest (that were covered today) are bright red again. I have an appointment tomorrow with my reg Dr so I'm going to bring it up for sure.

Thanks

Of course, it occurred to me today when I looked in the mirror and I look like a lobster, that it could have been from the lights in Target, right?

Thanks

Yep-- fluorescent lights can trigger a photosensitive rash! Evil, isn't it?

Thanks

I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wendya432 For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-17-2012), tgal (07-10-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wendya432 View Post
    I think it's my own personal nightmare, and my husband's dream come true... I'm allergic to Target!! LOL!!
    this may be a way to get people to accept lupus.

promote it as an anti shopping desease lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (07-17-2012)

Thanks

I'm alergic to shopping *AND* housework, but there's no flourescent lighting involved... but I manage |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-17-2012), wendya432 (07-17-2012)

Thanks

Lol thanks for the laugh guys! I needed it.
    Graves Disease 2007, Ceilac's Disease 2008, Lupus 2012.
    "Не дай мне Бог сойти с ума."
    God, please don't blow my mind. - Aleksandr Pushkin