Thread: Denied Disability

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Denied Disability

So I just got my SSDI denial letter today, even though the woman I talked to said it would take 3-4 months after they reviewed my medical records because it takes that long to make a medical decision. The woman told me I would be denied because I hadn't worked enough but told me I wouldn't hear anything until my medical records were reviewed and that it would take a few months. So since I got it today, and applied last Monday, I guess that means that they didn't even look at my medical records and I wasted over an hour of my life answering her questions over the phone after spending hours on my own beforehand looking up all my medical history and doctors, tests, and medications. To say I'm mad is an understatement. Its one thing to say you will probably be denied because you don't have enough work credits but if she knew that they wouldn't even look at my medical records why did she make me fill it all out!!! So aggravated. If you're under 24 you need to have worked for 1 and a half years to qualify, and I've probably only worked for 1 year total. I was dx'd at 16 when I was finally old enough to even get a job and am 19 now. So I guess that means I needed to have worked over half of the time I've been sick, and go to school. To me that makes no sense. I'm calling tomorrow and asking about it and they also filled out some of the questions incorrectly (they sent me a copy of my application) because uh THEY DIDN'T EVEN ASK ME THEM.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

unfortunatelly it takes a govermnet buracrat to really #### something.
    the american system does not make sense to me.

Thanks

I don't understand why they dont even look at your medical records if you don't meet their requirements. So a sick person has been really sick so they have barely worked so they don't qualify for disability?? Shouldn't they at least look at my medical records before making a decision?
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Thanks

Ritz,
    Are you young enough to be considered a dependent of your parents? Is there any way that you could qualify as a disabled dependent through your parents' SS?
    Just thinkin' out loud....
    Hugs,
    Marla

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-26-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I understand the frustration. Just get a lawyer, most don't ask for any payment until after you get disability.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

ritzbit2 (06-20-2012), Saysusie (06-26-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Get a lawyer. You won't get help until you do and the law in the US states that they can't charge you unless they get you back pay. Sadly this is just how it usually goes
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

ritzbit2 (06-20-2012), Saysusie (06-26-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you live in the united states? And you should have been able to get something when you where 16 so that it made it easier on your parents. Then it should have carried over to when you were an adult. It does and doesn't make since. There are people who have been diagnosed with things as kids and there parents got federal money for them and then it carried over to them as adults.

I asked if you lived in the united states cause you can get free legal or you will only have to pay 25% of back disability. I think is the link for it.

http://www.kansaslegalservices.org/FreeLegalForms

if not send me an email and I will see if I can look up the number. They are really great and may be able to help you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blackeight For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-28-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Alot of disability firms will want you to have been denied at least once.They are only allowed to take up to 25% of backpay and are often awarded less due to time spent in the system and amount of work they claim they have spent on your case.

If you are 19 and do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI you should go to SSA.gov and read up on filing for SSI.There is a filing for individuals who become disabled before the age of 22 and the disability has to be judged to last at least a year-its a lot like SSDI but doesnt require work credits.

The best thing you can do is to make SURE all of your dr records get to the lawyer and to the SSA.If you are filing there is a cap on what they can charge for copies.Make sure those records are as concise and complete as you can.You would be surprised at how many "dont get there or were never received"

Be proactive and dont assume that the lawyer will necessarily work for their money-make sure they do.

If you were diagnosed 3yrs ago,have had continuation of care(seen a dr regularly)and have medical evidence to back it up it will put more weight in your corner-the more paperwork the better.The system is designed to get people to give up.

I applied in 2008-got denied within 3 months-refiled got denied again in 2 more months and requested a hearing before an administrative law judge.It took me a year to get there and three months after my hearing to get the award letter of fully approved.

So it took from 7/08-4/10 to go thru the whole process.Some states are quicker than others but a denial the first time is the norm.Dont give up,try contacting lawyers in your area see if they have a mandate about taking on disability clients because like I said some want at least one denial,some want 2 and some dont care and will take you from the initial filing on.THen call the SSA 800# back and ask about filing for SSI since due to your age you do not meet the minimum work requirements.That should have been done from the get go....sounds like you got a really lazy worker.

Here is a really helpful website that has tons of info about the process and a message board for people going thru it currently,those that are in the denial/appeal process,those that have been awarded-and examples of letter sent by the SSA detailing what additional info they look for,and the hoops they make you go thru . www.ssdfacts.com It was started by a lady when she began the process and contains a wealth of info and examples.Hope it helps.

Good luck-dont give up.
    Last edited by ItsLupus2007; 08-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ritz: google "centers for independent living Kentucky" or CIL Kentucky. Find the one nearest you and give them a call. I work for one and one of the services we provide is helping people apply for SSI/SSDI. I know you've been denied, but a CIL can help you with the appeal process. This service is FREE. Not like a lawyer, Centers for Independent Living do NOT charge for their services. The CIL will walk you through it and help you as much as possible. They do NOT guarantee they can get you SSDI, but they know the red tape and bs better than anyone and know how to handle it.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

ritzbit2 (08-28-2012), steve.b (08-28-2012)