Thread: Red hot swollen knees, discoloration . . pic attached

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Red hot swollen knees, discoloration . . pic attached

This happens to me all the time and it is so uncomfortable. Is this a Lupus symptom (God, what isn't, right?) It seems there is NOTHING I can do to prevent it, besides staying off of my feet. My pain doctor gave me Pennsaid drops for each knee and it helps, but it not completely and they just go right back to this if I am up and about. Also, I'm pretty sure I tested positive for APS and I think this is kind of a symptom of that too. Does anyone have anything like this, and what do you do about it?
    bad knees.jpgnormal knees.jpg

Thanks

Wow that looks pretty bad. Did you show those pictures to your rheumy? If not, do it, he needs to see that.
    I don't have any other tip for you.
    Sorry you have to go through that.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hi Islablue,
    I haven't seen you here in a while - welcome back.
    My joints never swell or turn red, which is why the docs never take me seriously about joint pain.
    My mother was the same way - the docs would tell her that she didn't have arthritis, even though she was in pain.
    Finally, her knees swelled up and looked like yours, and the docs said "Ohhh - you have RA".

You definitely have some inflammation going on there. I believe that I've read that joint pain from Lupus or Sjogren's can sometimes not cause redness or swelling, so that's probably my problem. I know that RA can cause those, and probably other forms of arthritis.
    I agree with Debbie - make sure that your rheumy gets a good look at those pics.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses! Hmm, yeah I've showed my rheumy when they weren't even this bad yet and he of course wanted to put me on MTX again. I'm kind of like yall though, is this the Lupus or is it something else popping up? I do have a positive hla-b27 - so I wouldn't be too shocked if it was something RA related. Even though testing positive for that doesn't guarantee you'll develop those conditions. You know, I also have a lump under the skin on the outside of my right leg. It's about 2 inches above my knee. Here's the kicker with all this..We are doing fertility treatments right now (don't want to open that can of worms, but I have a condition that makes it very difficult to conceive naturally), so I really can't treat my knee issues at the moment unless it's something life-threatening. Ugh, this is a mess. I know you gals understand what I mean. It's never cut and dry with Lupus.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i have inflamation problems, when i overdo things.

and they never look as red and battered as yours.

on a lighter side....
    lucky i am happerly married.
    your normal looking legs are nicer hehehe.

sorry i cannot help.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh come on, my husband loves the swollen and discolored look! Yeah right.. but he does enjoy warming up his hands next to the fire of my knee-caps! Seriously if his hands are cold he will just put them on my knee. lol

Thanks

OUCH! that looks painful, I can just imagine how uncomfortable you must feel about it. I know how difficult it must be to try and sit still all day if not you'll end up looking like this. I'm sorry you're feeling like that, hopefully you can find out what it is and fix it soon enough.
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Thanks

If you are trying to get pregnant, you definitely don't want to take MTX. However, it can't be good to have inflammation in your body when you conceive, either. You need to get some answers from both your rheumy and your OB.
    Hugs,
    Marla