Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad days and pain.

Thanks

Default Bad days and pain.

Today is a bad day. My joints hurt so bad. I keep getting a rash on my arms legs and cheast. It burns. I'm so tired and worn out it takes everything in me to do anything. I had to call off work due to the pain and hardly being able to walk. What do you guys do on bad days to help with the pain? None of my doctors seem to want to give me anything to help. I hurt so bad I'm in tears. It's days like today that I just want to give up and stay in bed forever.

Thanks

Have you tried any NSAIDs yet for your pain? I take 500 mg of naproxen (prescription version of Aleve) twice a day to manage my muscle pain. I also take 50 mg of tramadol as needed for breakthrough pain. My pain is always there, but the medications make it so much milder that I fuction quite well during the day. If you have some over-the-counter Aleve, you could try taking two pills (440mg) to see if it helps. If it does, you could then talk to your doctor about a prescription.

Also, if you're having consistent pain like this and your doctors are unwilling to prescribe you anything, you may need to find new doctors. Lupus and other autoimmune diseases can be quite painful, but NSAIDs and moderate pain relievers like tramadol can be very effective in managing the pain, and your doctors should know that!

Thanks

I know how you feel! NSAIDs tend to tear up my stomach, and I react horribly to Tramadol.
    I just have to take an occasional OTC Aleve when the pain is really bad.
    I alternate between getting tasks done (like laundry, shopping or cooking) and a nice long rest on the couch.
    It's frustrating for a person who used to be very active, but I've learned to pace myself.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Oh, and yes, as Marla said, NSAIDs can be bad on your stomach. I have occasional stomach upset, but I now take ranitidine to deal with the stomach issues naproxen was giving me.

Got to love it: taking one prescription medication to counter the side-effects of another prescription...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derrie View Post
    Oh, and yes, as Marla said, NSAIDs can be bad on your stomach. I have occasional stomach upset, but I now take ranitidine to deal with the stomach issues naproxen was giving me.

Got to love it: taking one prescription medication to counter the side-effects of another prescription...
    I know what you mean. Naproxen does the same to me if I have to take it for more than a couple of days in a row. Then I have to take Prevacid to counter the stomach ache I get from the Naproxen.

I'm not fond of double-edged swords or Catch-22's, but thats what it feels like sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I'm not fond of double-edged swords or Catch-22's, but thats what it feels like sometimes.
    I know! I used to be such a stickler for taking no medications for anything if I could avoid it. I would just grit my teeth and deal with the random headache or the pain from a sprained ankle or the whiplash I got once. But this muscle (?) pain in my legs that came with my disease is like nothing else. I turned from Ms. I-Don't-Put-Strange-Things-In-My-Body to Ms. Bring-On-The-Uber-NSAIDs-and-Its-Friends!

But honestly, I'd rather take a handful of pills that require other pills to mitigate their side effects than be in pain all the time. I want to at least try to enjoy my life!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derrie View Post
    But honestly, I'd rather take a handful of pills that require other pills to mitigate their side effects than be in pain all the time. I want to at least try to enjoy my life!
    Yeah, I'd be miserable too without my meds.

Thanks

On bad pain days I have learnt to rest, take two panadol and one tramadol. I find that and I got this from the nurses in hospital, that if I use only one tramadol and take it with two panadol it blends so nicely and eases the pain without making me drowsy. I also use heat packs and I have a chair insert massage seat. Hope this helps. Since going on planquinl I have a lot less pain. Hope you can get some relief. Also I was reading about some pain research, and it was focused on women going through labour. Well it found that women who didn't normally swear we're benefited with pain relief when in labour suffering bad pain. Well they found if these women swore then they produced some endorfins and produced some natural pain relief. It also discovered that if the women studied normally swore in their every day language they did not get any relief when swearing while in a great deal of pain.

So bottom. Line is if you don't normally swear in your daily life when you are in a lot of pain if you swear then eg when in tears you will produce some endorfins that will give you some pain relief. But the more you use this method tieless it works. So use the swearing limited. I know it sounds funny but it does work!

Good luck!
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

Desley,
    LOL - that explains why so many ladies start cursing out their husbands when they reach the transition stage of labor!
    When I was midwifing, I once saw a lady hit her hubby so hard, she broke his nose!
    Honestly, I've had five labors (at home-no meds) and they were all a piece of cake compared to the muscle pain that I deal with in my legs and hips every day now.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow yall are serious....no pain meds and having babies?!
    No thanks, bring on the epidural ASAP!
    I take CELEBREX 2/DAY and zanaflex to help me relax and sleep among other things. My new favorite med is a low dose butrans patch, it lasts for 7 days and I dont have to take norco for the pain. I hate taking pills and everything makes me sleepy and groggy but this doesnt do any of that! I also tried low dose Naltrexone and it worked awesome as well, but it tore up my tummy so I had to stop taking it I am unable to tolerate much but 200mgs of Plaq but nothing stronger so my rheumy has to get creative with my therapies

Hugs,
    LenaT14