Thread: I have a question about EGRF (Estimated Glomerular Filtration)

Thanks

Default I have a question about EGRF (Estimated Glomerular Filtration)

Hi all. I had got a list of all the blood work from my Cardiologist. I just noticed that there was blood work for my Kidney. I am very confused I called to see what it meant but haven't heard back yet and it is bothering me. I am hoping someone know what this result means. My Cardiologist didn't mention this to me, so it could be okay. It says on the report. ESTIMATED GLOMERULAR FILTRATION: >60 mL/MIN/1.73 Result notes: Potential chronic kidney disease. So I looked into web md and mayo clinic to see what the results mean and it is confusing. All I get out of it is that there are stages and my result number looks like it is in stage 2 and 59 is stage 3. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to know what your input is Thanks all.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is a test used to check how well the kidneys are working. Specifically, it estimates how much blood passes through the tiny filters in the kidneys, called glomeruli, each minute.
    According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal results range from 90 - 120 mL/min/1.73 m2.

The examples above are common measurements for results of these tests. Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different sample. Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease. A GFR result below 15 mL/min/1.73 m2 is a sign of kidney failure and requires immediate medical attention.
    in most cases, a result of >60 mL/min/1.73 m2 is considered normal.
    Here is a website that provides a detailed explanation of the equations used to determine filtration rates:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_function

If you still have questions, please feel free to ask us and we will do our best to answer them for you. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

diane 50 (06-15-2012), steve.b (06-15-2012)

Thanks

Thank You for the info. This is very helpful I was a bit worried about this I have seen in some sites that 60 is a stage 2 I feel relieved about this