Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaquenil for Short People (Newer Dosing Guidelines from Ophthalmologists)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Well, I don't really know about the "hunk" part, but I do still have all my hair, most of my teeth, and I'm housebroken... (insert smiley face)

Thanks

Housebroken is the key.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    ..... and I'm housebroken... (insert smiley face)
    i would love to add a smart alec comment.
    but i will smile and keep quiet.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derrie View Post
    Sounds like you're fine on the dosing, Rob.

So, my understanding of how this works is the "dry weight" is standard for everyone. It's the "lean" weight based on your height. For women, that weight is 100 lb at 5'0" and you add 5 pounds for each inch in height. So, every female who is 5'4" has a "dry weight" of 120 pounds.

For men, the dry weight is 110 lb at 5'0", and add 5 pounds for each inch. So, Rob, you're 13 inches taller than 5'0", so your dry weight would be 110 + 65, or 175 lb.

So, you take whatever dry weight is appropriate for your sex and height, and then apply the 6.5mg/kg/day standard. To satisfy my inner math geek, I'll do Rob's calculation here:

At 6'1" and male, Rob's "dry weight" is 175 lb. Converted to kilograms (1 lb = .454 kg), Rob's dry weight is approximately 75 kg. At a safe dose of 6.5mg/kg/day (6.5 X 75), Rob can take up to 487.5mg of Plaquenil per day without significantly increasing his risk of toxicity and eye damage.

Using the same calculation (dry weight x .454 x 6.5), my highest safe dose, as a 5'4" female, would be 354mg of Plaquenil per day.

Well, my inner math geek is satisfied. Make sense to you all? Our real weights don't matter in this calculation; just our sex and height.

Sounds like a solid formula. My inner science geek thanks your inner math geek!

Thanks

This is good to know! I'm not on Plaquenil now but given my recent additional diagnoses know that a complete re-vamp of my meds is in my immediate future (arrgh!) Thanks for the info - I'm just under 5' 4" and had no idea about this! Course the body fat % should not be a problem unfortunately- got plenty of that floating around

I'm not short; I'm "under tall".

Thanks

I too had never heard of this. Wow! Why don't the rheumy's know this and the pharmacists? I have been on Plaquenil (and then on the generic) now for 18 years. I am 5'2" and tiny boned and was presribed 200mg 2x day. Is this maybe why my vision is getting worse and worse and I developed astygmatism? Too scary. Have only had the field of vision test done 4 or 5 times over the years.
    Thanks for posting this information.

gentle hugs and warm thoughts for all,
    Laura
    Laura