Thread: Outdoor sports

Thanks

Default Outdoor sports

Before the diagnosis (geezus, was this just last week??) my husband and I were planning on getting bicycles so we could ride together with our daughter as a family for exercise. We were just saving up the money. Lo and behold, we've got the money now. Yay? Can I do this with proper sun cover or should I just wave goodbye to my husband and daughter while they bike?

Thanks

I bike with my wife pretty regularly. Always make sure to cover up!

I usually go early morning or late afternoon to avoid the sun when its at its worst.

I also go on bike paths rather than streets as the scenary is better and usually more shade.
    I find biking is easier on my joints than other forms of exercise!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

redstringsoul (06-12-2012)

Thanks

I am way in the minority here, but I have very little sun sensitivity. HEAT seems to bother me more. I wear sunblock and I do live at a northern latitude, but honestly, usually the sun makes me feel great.

Not everybody has terrible reactions - you'll just have to judge how you react - but be cautious!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

redstringsoul (06-12-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely gonna get cover ups but I'm happy to hear that I may not have to sit it out. Thanks!

Thanks

Hey Red,
    I see that you are not far from me - I live in the Monterey Bay area. I agree with Sleepy - I've found that the combination of sun and fog that we have in this wonderful area doesn't aggravate my symptoms at all. When we lived in South Texas it was a totally different story. That heat and unrelenting sun there made me feel miserable.
    Also, check REI or other outdoor equipment stores - you can buy clothing and hats with SPF built in. That might help you, too.
    My hubby attends The Naval Postgraduate School. He uses his bike to commute - 6.5 miles each way. The morning ride is mostly downhill, the evening one is mostly uphill. At 55, he's the oldest student there, but he puts the young officers to shame with the physical shape that he's in.
    He's a fine physical specimen, and I can barely walk - sigh!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

go forth and bike! Do NOT let Lupus stop you from enjoying family time! I go kayaking. My husband is wearing shorts and a tshirt and I've got more fabric on me than a mummy but I go and I have a blast!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"