Thread: Broke the addiction

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Broke the addiction

After 35 years of soda caffeine addiction, I've now gone 7 months and 5 days without ANY!!!! I don't know how Pepsi is staying in business without me! I quit cold turkey. The deciding factor? I broke a tooth on a plastic straw- the soda destroyed my toot enamel that much! It wasn't difficult at all! I have tried several times over the years and failed miserably but this time it was soooo easy. I just decided to quit and that was that. No withdrawal migraines I feared would hit. No massive cravings (just one small one a couple weeks afterr quitting when I heard a cup being filled at a restaurant). JUST NOTHING. I drank caffeine free rootbeer for awhile but lately I've found I don't want any type of soda at all. I know I'm still getting some caffeine now and again depending on what kind and type of tea I drink but not anywhere close to the daily amounts I was consuming before. I'm talking at least 2 cans up to a 12 pack EACH DAY. EVERYDAY. Except during both pregnancies, I was well soda caffeinated since 1976. That's over 1/2 my life. I couldn't plan a trip without figuring the soda situation first. 12 cans fit nicely around the spare tire in my Dodge Caliber. I carried soda bottles in my knitting bag. I couldn't start the day without one. It was insane. It made plain drinking water give me stomach aches. I drank NOTHING but soda. I was dehydrated for years. How I don't have massive kidney damage is by the Grace of God only. I like a good cold glass of water now. Especially from the mountains in Montana! Iced green tea is good and PEACE TEA razleberry flavor is AWESOME!!! and I've not broken another tooth! I do not miss it at all but wish I had the strength to quit sooner. Better late than never, right?
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Congratulations!!! I bet even years down the road you will see health benefits. It's like quitting smoking...holy cow, 12 cans a day is a LOT!

Thanks

That's fantastic! I quit drinking soda a number of years back, and my replacement is carbonated water (or sparkling water, or fizzy water, whatever you want to call it). I found that the fizziness, sometimes with a little squeeze of lemon, gave me the pleasure of drinking something soda-like, without all the sugar and caffeine. A few years back, though, I was getting concerned with all the money I was spending on bottles of carbonated water and with all the waste I was creating, so I got myself a Soda Stream, which is an appliance that carbonates refillable bottles of water for you. I have two bottles of regular tap water I keep chilled in the fridge, and when I want the soda experience, I just hook a bottle up to the Soda Stream and carbonate it myself! It saves me money -- a $15 canister of CO2 for carbonation lasts me about two months -- and cuts down on waste.

So, if you want that good, cold glass of water to be a little sparklier, I highly recommend the Soda Stream. I use the thing more than my toaster.

Congrats again on breaking the addiction!

(And your signature line is fantastic, Ruziska; Montana is love!)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Well Congrats! I know it is much better for you that way
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I will say that I took a bad situation and got something good out of it. I have wanted to loose some weight for awhile now but just never had the motivation. Well when I started getting sick and having the joint pain and I went to the doctor and she did a full blood work up and told me my cholesterol was a little high. Then I was dx'd with SLE and thought that is it, I have to change my way of living. I stop drinking soda too and I added tea to the list. I only drink water now. I completely changed the way I eat. I stopped eating sugar and fast food and I am very proud to say that I have lost 20 pounds!! My goal is 10 more pounds but if I get there and want to loose a little more, I'll just keep going until I'm happy. I too skinny in high school and ate whatever I wanted and continued that even after having 3 kids and it caught up to me. I'm now obsessed about what and how much I eat and I can't believe how easy it has been to drop the weight. Why didn't I do this years ago?!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You know I never had that problem with cokes and stuff. Before I got sick I used to love Dr.Pepper, maybe a can a day, but now I can't stand any kind of sodas especially Dr.Pepper. I might have a coke a couple times a year and a rare sprite. Like I don't like drinking juice, anything carbonated, tea, or coffee. Pretty much just drink water.

Thanks

I've never been a soda drinker, but I used to like an occasional Coke (especially with a bit of rum added). Since becoming empty-nesters, Jeff and I have sworn off of all soda, processed food, and most white sugar and flour. Like Mica, I now can't stand the taste of soda - way too sweet!
    I cook from scratch and we are eating lots of fresh California-grown veggies. I'm definitely eating healthier, but I unfortunately haven't lost a bit of weight.
    One big exception to the healthy eating though - I absolutely refuse to give up my morning cup of coffee. Nobody would like to deal with me without that!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Good on you Ruz! I need to break my sugar addiction, specifically Red Vines. I had two horrible hypoglycemic episodes yesterday after consuming almost a whole bag of those red evil sticks of pure sugar. I used to drink alot of Diet Pepsi but cut that out a few years back. Now I have one glass of Diet Sierra Mist in the evening and that's it as far as that type of stuff goes. But like Marla - do NOT come between me and my cuppa joe!

Thanks

Good for you Ruziska! My husband drank 6 cans of pepsi a day when I met him and like you, no outing would take place until the soda situation was "covered". He tried to quit cold turkey but could not so he switched to Sprite, thereby eliminating the caffeine but keeping the sugar, and after 2 weeks on Sprite he was able to completely quit. It is great that you were able to quit, congrats!

Marla, you cracked me up with coffee comment. Like you, it would be bad to deal with me without my morning cup of heaven. Yup Manderson, nothing can come between my love of joe.

Samo

Thanks

Yes, the kids even knew it when they were little - if they wanted to get on the good side of Mom & Dad, they would bring us coffee in bed.
    If they did that, we knew that either they were buttering us up for a big request of they had just done something that they knew was going to really upset us.
    Now most of them are coffee addicts, too.
    Hugs,
    Marla