Thread: Bladder (?) Pain of Doom

Thanks

Default Bladder (?) Pain of Doom

So, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I'm feeling right now:

I woke up this morning with aching in my lower abdomen, just above my pubic bone. It's a little puffy there, too-- my belly is slightly rounded, and it's usually flat. If I move around (like just walk around the house), I feel occasional sharper pains. I can also elicit sharper pains by pressing on the area. The aching gets worse as my bladder fills (I think). I do not have the burning or stinging while urinating pain that is characteristic of a UTI. But when I start to urinate, I have very sharp, makes-me-double-over pain in my lower abdomen.

So, I think my bladder is inflamed. I have no fever, no visible blood in urine, no urinary urgency beyond the aching increasing the longer I go without peeing. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm spending a beautiful Saturday on the couch, which is sort of depressing.

Thanks!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Is it one sided or in the middle? I ask because it sounds like of like what I feel when I have had cysts on my ovaries. Last time I had the issue with it getting worse when I went to the bathroom but it just happened to be the way the bladder pushed into the cyst when it was emptying.

Not sure if this is what is happening to you but I am not sure I would mess around with it. Might want to see a doctor as soon as possible and if it gets any worse an ER trip might be needed
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

It's in the middle, which is what made me think "bladder." Never had ovarian cysts before, but I'd never had a lot of things before my mysterious autoimmune disease showed up. I hate to use the ER (only been once in my whole life so far, and I'd like to keep it that way), so for now, I'm keeping track of how I feel, and I'll definitely go in if the pain gets worse or if I get a fever or something else indicating danger. If it doesn't get worse or better, I'll make an appointment Monday with my internist.

So for now, I'm just sort of miserable on the couch while it's all pretty outside. Thanks for your input, Mari-- I really appreciate it!

Thanks

I had similar pains before and found out recently that I have multiple kidney stones and have probably had them before. My pain started in my sides though where the kidneys are and moved towards my middle. I was told over and over again for a year that even though there was little reason to believe I had UTIs that must be it. Mind you some of those times I did have UTIs but they think some of the other times were small kidney stones. I've been seeing a urologist trying to figure it out.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Thanks

Google "Psuedomembraneous Trigonitis" - I went through 20 years of chronic UTIs and now what I am SURE was Psuedomembraneous Trigonitis....feels just exactly like what you are describing.

NOTHING gave real relief except drinking tons of water, using Cystex (OTC), avoiding certain irritating foods (cooked tomatoes or coffee especially). It would come and go. I had cystosopies done - mild irritation in the bladder, blah blah blah....nobody could help me and I got sick of the (very uncomfortable) tests. So I just lived with it.

Weirdly enough, when I got real treatment for autoimmune issues, IT ALL BUT DISAPPEARED!!!!! I can eat red sauce again, drink coffee....and I only get up once a night to pee instead of (sometimes) 3 or 4 times!!!! And no pain.

I learned on my Sjogren's group that Psuedomembraneous Trigonitis affects this little patch of mucous membrane right at the base of the bladder, where the urethra connects, and Sjogren's can attack that tissue just like it attacks other mucous membranes/salivary/tear glands. So all along, it was probably autoimmune-related.

Anyway - I mentioned that all to my Rheum and he said he'd heard similar stories before, though there's no hardcore research studies on the connection. They really should do one!!!

Not saying that's what's going on for you - you should probably get it checked out, and they may want to do a cystoscopy at some point. They suck, but really can help with diagnosis, and with ruling out scary stuff, so it's worth doing. But be sure to ask about Psuedomembraneous Trigonitis that may be autoimmune-mediated. It's kind of a rare thing and you'll need to talk to a good uro-gynocologist, if you can find one. But if you have Lupus it's certainly not unreasonable that you might have Sjogren's too....my Sjogren's is NOT typical and I don't have dry eyes - a little bit of dry mouth, but it seems to mainly have attacked my bladder. My blood tests were almost off the charts, so there is SOMETHING going on, clearly. Just because you don't present with the "classic" symptoms doesn't mean there's nothing going on.

I can certainly sympathize with your discomfort. While you wait for help, try Cystex; stay away from tomatoes and coffee, and drink tons of water. The more concentrated your urine is, the worse it will hurt (that's true for most any bladder issue, no matter what the cause is - infection, Psuedomembraneous Trigonitis, Cystitis, etc). I hope you get some relief soon!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

ritzbit2 (06-03-2012)

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your input! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this kind of stuff. I'm pretty cranky right now because I was supposed to meet some friends for happy hour tonight (though I only ever get root beer because of my meds!), and instead I'm on the couch because I can't stand up straight for the pain. I talked to my aunt, who is a doctor, and she advised that I make an urgent appointment with my gynecologist on Monday, unless it gets worse or I start to run a fever.

This just adds to my paranoia, though, I tell you. I'm pretty new to this autoimmune stuff, and I feel like I need to constantly watch my back because just when I'm getting relaxed into a routine, just when I think I have it figured out, my body goes and throws some other weird problem at me.

When I find out what is going on (if I do ever find out-- I've gotten used to some unknowns these days!), I'll be sure to let y'all know. But for now, it's me, this cup of herbal tea, my laptop, and the couch.

At least I feel slightly less guilty watching back to back episodes of The Bachelorette on hulu now...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (06-03-2012)

Thanks

And the winner is... Mari! I have a big ol' cyst on one of my ovaries, per the ultrasound tech. Still waiting for a follow-up call from the doctor.

Mari, what did you do about your cysts? I'm in dull, achy pain every day. It is especially annoying because I just managed to get my leg pain under control, and now my body has given me all new pain to deal with. Awesome.

Thanks

Derrie,
    All four of my daughters have dealt with ovarian cysts since their early teens, and Meg had endometriosis.
    Usually, the docs just prescribed hormones in the form of BC pills to get it under control. Meg had surgery to get rid of the endo several times, and the doc would remove cysts at the same time. Hillary has Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. She took Met Formin (sp?) and had to take fertility drugs to get pregnant this time.
    I'm convinced that being prone to thses things is yet another sign of AI issues in our family.
    I hope that you feel better soon.
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Derrie (07-02-2012)