Thread: 15+ years of fibromyalgia, now lupus??

Thanks

Smile 15+ years of fibromyalgia, now lupus??

Hello everyone! My name is Jeanne and I have been suffering for 15 years with a fibromyalgia diagnosis. This year my symptoms became much worse and the rheumatologist said that one or two of the lupus titers were elevated, but she wasn't sure...I am stiff, in terrible pain, weak and can't get up the stairs. I don't mean to be long winded, but I am feeling like I am going crazy....sores on my tongue that the dentist can't see....inflammation all over my body including vaginal disorder of vestibulitis.....I need people to share with....the only thing that I think is a possible cause is that I had 18 injections of alpha interferon 15 years ago for the vaginal inflammation...maybe a connection??? I would so appreciate any input from you guys. Thank you so much for letting me share....oh, and I am a New Yorker now living in Chicago!!!

Thanks

don't know that I can help you much however welcome to our site. It is quite possible with this lovely disease we all share that the initial dx was incorrect and you have had lupus all along.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Welcome to Chicago!

Thanks

Jeanne,
    Welcome to WHL. We have several members who have firbro and lupus. It is quite common to have overlaps of two or more autoimmune diseases.
    I don't seem to have fibro, but I'm sure that others who know more about it will be along.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi jeanne,
    and welcome.

i too have lupus and fibro.
    it is quite common amonst our little group.

both of these disorders are diagnosed by ruling out lots of other things first.

fibro can be confirmed by expensive testing.
    (Using single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT); researchers in France were able to detect functional abnormalities in certain regions in the brains of patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia)
    if this testing is not done, and it normally isnt, then a diagnoses is usually down to doctors interpritation of symptoms.

it is possible that you have had both all along, and your doctors are just starting to understand your symptoms correctly now.

anyway, i hope you start to find the correct mediation, and start feeling better soon.

again welcome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-30-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL. Many of us start off with a fibro diagnosis and gradually make our way to a Lupus or other AI diagnosis as well. Lupus is diagnosed once everything else has been ruled out. I think we would all like for there to be an actual test for Lupus instead of the years of suffering so many have. Hopefully, now that your doctor is looking at AI diseases, you will get an answer and get on some medicines that will help you to feel better!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~