Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beginning of a flare?

Thanks

My MIL has Meniere's (had SEVERE vertigo with it...), and I had problems with it a few years ago (probably otoliths)...in both cases, physical therapy pretty much "cured" it. They really CAN train your brain/inner ear to re-balance, and/or reposition the otoliths so the dizziness goes away (depending on the cause of the dizziness). It's not woo-woo medicine - it's just understanding how the body and brain work, and using that to fix balance issues. Much better than drugs, in my opinion! PT is not effective for everything, but it can be VERY effective for balance issues.

Of course Lupus and other AI issues can be a real kicker...I recently lost my hearing in one ear to Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease but had almost no dizziness. They just never know what it's going to do...but if it is the immune system attacking your ear, please be extra aware of any hearing loss you may be experiencing and go in right away....if they get you on steroids within 24-48 hours of the hearing loss your chances of recovering at least SOME of it are much greater.

After my experience, I think they should tell this to everyone with a Lupus diagnosis. if you have a sudden loss of hearing, treat it as an emergency!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    ... please be extra aware of any hearing loss you may be experiencing and go in right away... if they get you on steroids within 24-48 hours of the hearing loss your chances of recovering at least SOME of it are much greater.

After my experience, I think they should tell this to everyone with a Lupus diagnosis. if you have a sudden loss of hearing, treat it as an emergency!
    Ditto that SleepyInSeattle, amen and amen. The steroids are used to reduce the inflammation and damage from that. I had no idea what vertigo really was until I had it, then "dizzy" didn't mean the same thing. Thankfully for me, I have a good pcp who sent me right away to the ear guy and balance people, who did all sorts of testing, and told me I had possible Menier's, and also literally rocks loose in my head... Reposition the rocks, re-train for the current menier's damage, and pay attention to it in the future.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

I have vertigo for years way before I was DX with Lupus, I take meds to control the vertigo. I know when my lupus acts up, I would write in a notebook of your daily life with Lupus and soon you will see a patten. I hope the best for you,
    Hugs
    Liz
    Diagnosed with SLE Lupus May 2nd 2011. I am taken Plaquenil, Pain Killers, muscle relaxers.

Thanks

Thanks for Sharing Debbie!

That had to be a really scary experience. When I'm dizzy I usually became pretty disoriented, so I can't even imagine waking up in the middle of the night and feeling that way. I'm happy you've been dizzy-free since though!
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i get a lot of dizziness. i never thought it could be a flare up. i also get a lot of headaches. I'm still learning what is a flare up for me. I'm guessing i started one yesterday. i was dizzy and my joints hurt and i had chronic fatigue .. i also feel like my head is in a fog. Its hard to explain to people what i mean.

Thanks

I definitely just started to read my orinigal post and thought to myself.. wow we have a lot in common.. and then I realized it's because I wrote the post! haaaa Lupus moment much?

Tracy- I completely understand what you mean. It's been such a confusing time for me, but know that although it might be difficult for others to understand I've been there too and I know what you mean. It sounds like our flares begin pretty similarly. I hope you're starting to feel better than you were the other day. It's such a good feeling to know that I'm not alone.
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

8. The Following User Says Thank You to theLword For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (07-25-2012)