Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Boulder with lupus

Thanks

Post In Boulder with lupus

Hello, I'm so happy to find this group!
    I've had lupus for 2 years. The first year was horrible. Horrible, horrible.
    I had to leave my job as faculty at Michigan State University. I never thought I would leave that job, it was too good. But within a month or two I could barely walk, my life stopped abruptly and finally I had to move in with family.
    After many, many medications and procedures, I am recovering slowly.
    Now I live in Boulder, Co, near my daughter, who is in Colorado University. I am new to this town and trying to get some of my life back.
    I'd love to get a friend online and hopefully meet someone in this area with similar struggles.
    Pat

Thanks

Hi Pat.

Welcome to WHL. I had to answer your post, because Schulze was my maiden name ( same spelling).
    I am glad that the meds are starting to help. All of us here know, it can take a long time until that happends.
    Looking foreward to know you better.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Just wanted to stop in and welcome you to WHL! We are really glad that you found us and even more glad that you are starting to feel better! Please make yourself at home and jump in the conversation whenever you feel like it!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Pat Schulze (05-23-2012)

Thanks

Wanted to say hello and welcome. Glad the second year has been better than the first. Hope it continues to improve!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marine wife For This Useful Post:

Pat Schulze (05-23-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

i also want to welcome you.

i used to live in boulder....
    boulder, western australia
    1/2 a world away.... but with the same problems.

i also have had lupus help me to stop working.

you are never alone with a support group like this behind you.
    welcome, please join in where you think appropriate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Pat Schulze (05-23-2012)

Thanks

Welcome Pat!

I was recently diagnosed and this forum has provided me with so much support. I hope you feel the same
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine

Thanks

Hi M
    I love your log in "the L word". Very funny. I also have Raynaud's until my hands were turning black.
    What is Secondary Raynauds Phenonmenon?
    This forum has already made me feel connected, whether you answer or not, it's still there.
    Pat

Thanks

Hi former Schulze

Hope your new name is easier to spell. I was "Allen" for awhile, then went back to Schulze, forgetting how much trouble it was. Hop you're doing well.
    I'm good today, happy to have found this forum,
    Pat Schulze

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for answering me in Boulder. I just read your personal history.
    I also have lupus, fibromyalgia, raynaud's, fibro muscular dysplasia, whatever the diagnosis it is similar symptoms and struggles.
    I liked the way you say that lupus helped you stop working--I feel that too. Lupus made me get out of the highly stressful position I was in at the university and lupus made me get managers for my 3 rental homes in Michigan, two things I thought I would never do! It is helping me get back in touch with life.
    Best wishes, take care,
    Pat

Thanks

Hi Pat,

Thanks! My mom actually came up with my name. When I first found out that I had an autoimmune disease, every time she would refer to Lupus she would call it the L word because she really didn't want Lupus to be what it was. Oh well! ha

So, there are two different types of Raynaud's. There is Primary Raynaud's Syndrome and Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon. The primary form is mild and occurs without any predisposing factors. Many people have primary and just complain of cold hands, etc. However, secondary is generally associated with the presence of autoimmune issues. Secondary tends to be a lot more severe and often requires treatment. The severity of my Raynaud's is actually how I found out that I have an autoimmune disease.

Not many people know that there are two types. My primary care doctor from when I was younger apparently didn't know either or I would have been tested a long time ago! Do you take anything for your Raynuad's? I recently started taking Amlodipine and I have seen a lot of great changes. Although I'm still funny colors there is a lot less pain and I'm not as worried about lesions, etc.
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine