Thread: Infection and MTX

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Infection and MTX

So I've had a scratchy/burning/irritated throat that's made it tickle and makes me want to cough for the past 3 days. This morning I woke up(slept a little longer than usual too)with a slight headache and pressure in my face. My daughter has sinusitis she's on Omnicef for currently and so I'm wondering if it might be that. Then again I get these types of symptoms with Lupus before a flare, the potential adrenal insufficiency I have going on and prednisone withdrawals although I shouldn't be having those because i'm on 10mg of it a day at present.

I started MTX what will be 6 weeks ago after my dose tonight. I guess my question is(since I think it's helped the lupus a little recently)how will I be able to tell if it's an infection vs any of the other things I mentioned or when to go to the dr? I only ever get "low grade" fevers. My temp is usually in the 97s so a low grade of 99s is higher for me. I just don't know how to tell the difference from anything anymore since the problems with cortisol,etc. I don't see the Endo till June 6th and the rheumy again till the end of this month.

Also, I know I have to take the MTX because you can't just stop taking meds like that but is it going to make the infection or whatever this is worse having to take it tonight knowing the next few days I will feel bad from it? Or will it mask it all and I won't know anything?? lol....I'm just so confused and don't know what my body is doing anymore. My menstrual cycle stopped last month and I've read it can be from MTX and prednisone changes them...but I'm also on the IUD Mirena birth control which can do that too and I've had that since Jan 2011...so...as I said I know nothing about me anymore!! Anyone else feel that way?? I hope you all are well. Take care and God Bless and thanks for letting me vent lol

*hugs* -Lupie LadyBug
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Although the MTX itself most likely won't make you I'll you can "catch things" much more easily. If you feel like you are coming down with something you need to call your doctor because heat want you to skip a dose or two so your body can fight it better.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-27-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many doctors do feel that Methotrexate can increase the severity of an infection as well as the risk of infection. If you feel that it is, indeed, an infection, contact your doctor. Do not stop taking the MTX unless your doctor advised you to do so. Patients on MTX are usually cautioned to avoid those things (and persons) who might present a risk of infection.
    Please let us know what you and your doctor decide. I wish you the best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey there. I ended up going yesterday to the emergency care center instead of the ER at the hospital just because I knew it'd be quicker. My bp was elevated 139/76 compared to my usual 90s-100/60. Being 5'3 and 96lbs I imagine that is a bit elevated anyway. I have sinusitis and bronchitis. They did a urine but didn't really see any bacteria. The doc gave me Cipro to treat all 3 just in case at 500mg 2x/day. They also had to irrigate my ears(It was gross and so weird feeling!)due to wax buildup and afterwards noticed my ears had fluid behind them. I love how Cipro causes you to be more sun sensitive :/ *raises eyebrow* ...as if the other meds I take daily with their extra sun sensitivity and my photosensitivities are not enough lol I know one thing I've been having a lot more joint pain and stuff but I guess it's from being sick. I didn't sleep very well last night either. I've been in good spirits but physically haven't felt well. I still had a pretty good weekend though I hope you all are feeling well today and thanks for the thoughts and posts

-Lupie LadyBug

P.S. I did not get the doc to do an adrenal function test on me....I figured I'd just get this out of the way and see how I feel after the infection clears up since by then I'll have my appt with the Endo and get the ball rolling on that issue.

I have not informed my dr of my going to the care center yet either. I will email her so hopefully I'll get a response back before I take my next metho dose on Tuesday night.
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!