Thread: I think I might have Lupus. Not sure what type though.

Thanks

Default I think I might have Lupus. Not sure what type though.

Hello!
    In the past few months I've been experiencing a lot of lupus symptoms. Athritis, a lot of enlarged lymph nodes (groin and neck) and I noticed recently that I might have LE symptoms. I think I've had the butterfly rash on the face and elbows in the past year. It wasn't really that noticeble until now when I got some pimple like bumps on my nose with the color of my skin (white-pink-ish). Apart from that, from time to time I get these red pimples smaller than 1cm that bleed it I squeeze them and when they heal they leave a small brown discoloration. I now have about 5 of these discolorations on the legs and 2 on the right elbow ( one of them is actually healing right now).
    They never itch and I recently found out that I have at least 2 very red pimples on my scalp. I didn't lose any hair though. I think it's time to see a dermathologist and then a doctor.
    Since I'm almost positive it's Lupus and I'm at peace with the idea I'm asking if there's a treatment for the skin conditions. Can I get rid of the brown discolorations and the bumps on the scalp?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL!

I think you are correct that you need to see a dermatologist. Although it could be Lupus it could also be Rosacia as well. Actually, it could be a lot of things. The thing with Lupus is that the symptoms of it are just like the symptoms of so many other things that, in order to get a Lupus diagnosis, they have to rule all the other possibilities out. You are definitely on the right track about the derm. and the doc. Please keep us posted!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks for the reply!
    I spent some time checking my symptoms and it appears that those red pimples and brown spots from my elbow and leg are most likely furuncles. That's a relief in some way... The red pimple on the top of my head is driving me crazy though. But I'll try to calm down and see what the doctors say. I'll keep you posted.

And if I may address a question:
    Why is the diagnose of Lupus so important? It's not like Lupus can be treated. Only the diseases related to it's presence.
    Last edited by nevermore; 05-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I spent some time checking my symptoms and it appears that those red pimples and brown spots from my elbow and leg are most likely furuncles. That's a relief in some way... The red pimple on the top of my head is driving me crazy though. But I'll try to calm down and see what the doctors say. I'll keep you posted.

And if I may address a question:
    Why is the diagnose of Lupus so important? It's not like Lupus can be treated. Only the diseases related to it's presence.
    That is not completely true. There are a couple of drugs used to stop the inflammation that is usually only given when a diagnosis is given. Plaquenil, an antimalerial, and steroids are usually given to try to halt the progression of the disease and stop the flare. Leaving the inflammation unchecked can cause damage to the organs (like many of us have) and it can cause lifetime damage or death. With treatment this is a disease that cannot be cured but usually can be calmed so we can leave a pretty normal life
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (05-19-2012)