Thread: Can doctors detect Lupus even when flare is over?

Thanks

Smile Can doctors detect Lupus even when flare is over?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been diagnosed with lupus or anything else yet, but I finally got health insurance (YAY!) so I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday. I just had what I'd describe as a flare, although I'm not really sure. I had about a month of increasing joint pain in my wrists, fingers and toes, and it got slowly worse until today when it's much better and seems to be going away. The last time it happened was exactly the same, and was about six months ago. I also have flushed cheeks + nose, aching calf muscles, headaches, and other random little things.

Anyway, I guess I am apprehensive about seeing the doctor because my LAST doctor always acted like I was making a big deal out of nothing. It made me wonder if I was just overreacting. I was actually hoping that the joint pain would be pretty strong at my appointment so I could tell her that something was truly happening. If I'm not in a "flare" at the moment, does that mean any testing is useless? Should I just wait and see if I get another flare?

Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

some of us have poor bloodwork all the time.
    other people have good bloodwork some of the time.
    quite often your bloodwork will still show the signs, even after the flair has stopped.

this is one of the reasons lupus can be hard to diagnose.

please do not induce a flair for the examination.
    inducing a flair is bad for you, and bad bloodwork is always delayed.
    quite often your bloodwork will still show the signs, even after the flair has stopped.

if it was me.....
    i would go for the test.
    and keep a copy of the results.
    it will give you a good baseline to measure other tests against.

Thanks

Get tested FOR SURE!! Doctors have said that ANA level and antibodies present do not always correlate with disease activity, or severity. So if one day you test a tire of 1:640, and the next month a 1:160, you may be feeling 100 times more miserable then you were during the first round of bloodwork. Through the years, of countless bloodwork, I've only had abnormal levels twice. Right now, I'm still waiting for a diagnosis. My rheum did bloodwork after my most recent abnormal results, and everything came back normal. Funny thing is, I was feeling a million times worse when that blood was taken then when it was done a month prior when I was feeling mostly normal, just the usual ache.

Remember.. Autoimmune disease and the study is still not an exact science.. They don't know why these things flucuate and why they don't always match up to symtoms, flares and remissions. My mom always says that this is why the call medicine a 'practice'.

You never know if Tuesday is gonna be the day your antibodies want to dance around like crazed drunks and show up on bloodwork. Then again they may be in hybernation because they are mental idiots who enjoy making your life even more complicated and making you look crazy hehehe : )
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tripLexie View Post
    You never know if Tuesday is gonna be the day your antibodies want to dance around like crazed drunks and show up on bloodwork. Then again they may be in hybernation because they are mental idiots who enjoy making your life even more complicated and making you look crazy hehehe : )
    love this description !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (05-14-2012)

Thanks

Me too! Okay, I'll keep the appointment and hope that whatever is going on is detectable that day I don't want it to be something, but I kinda want it to be something, you know?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradan View Post
    Me too! Okay, I'll keep the appointment and hope that whatever is going on is detectable that day I don't want it to be something, but I kinda want it to be something, you know?
    Yes, we all feel this way. It seems really weird to be happy about getting a diagnosis of a chronic disease, but after feeling so bad for so long, and having people doubt us, it is a huge relief to feel justified.
    Good luck next week.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Good luck!!!! May your (possible) antibodies be as drunk as an Irishman on St. Patty's Day!!!! : )
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Make sure and update us!!!
    -Robert Eliot