Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School

Thanks

Default School

Has anyone had to drop out of school, even just temporarily, because it just got to be too much on top of everything else? I feel like I need to right now to get myself where I want to be, but I feel like my family will be so disappointed. I don't want to hear about how I'm doing nothing with my life while I'm not in school. But all I want to do right now is nothing. I want to enjoy my summer, start to feel better, de-stress, and read a freaking book! That last part probably sounds dumb but I love reading and have had so much going on this past year I have not read a single book that I have gotten. I just want to feel like me again. Right now I'm a really crabby, stressed to the max, b!tch version of me. I want to take the time off to get myself physically and mentally where I need to be to do all the things I have planned.

I'm afraid my family is going to make me feel bad for not working and not going to school. My boyfriends solution to this is for me to apply for disability and move in with him because he won't expect too much from me and won't make me feel bad about it (though he doesn't want me to stop going to school either). I don't know if thats what I should do though. I feel like doing all this will be like taking the lazy way out, but right now I just want to be "lazy". I want to rest. I NEED to rest.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I dropped out of college but am still unable to go back. Have you considered not being a full time student, like only take 1 or 2 classes instead. And get on that disability now if your considering it because it takes forever, but im going to tell you now your going to need to get a lawyer because disability will keep denying you because of your age. And I highly doubt your family is going to be disappointed in you for needing to take a break, you are sick and sometimes your health needs to come first.

Thanks

Hi Ritz,

I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to tell you, that I totally understand.
    Your school is as hard to do, as my job is and I know that I am at the breaking point. I just want to stay home, rest and nurse my painful joints and muscles. I know that I would feel better at home, because I do, when I am on vacation.
    Speaking of vacation, don't you have the summer break coming up?
    I hope you can make a decision, that works for you.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

As of right now I am signed up for summer classes, because if I don't take them I can't take any classes this coming fall. So if I try to take a break this summer it will turn into being a year off. I really don't know what to do. I have been thinking about all of this for months and now its decision time. I have to decide this week if I want to take the summer classes because tuition is due next week. I still am not sure what to do though.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

I was in school full time as well as working full time when first started having problems im only 21 . I had to make a choice weather to move back home and keep tryin to do school or put school on hold and keep workin full time it was the hardest choice i have ever had to make i chose to put school on hold which was the best choice because i quickly got worse and had to only work part time anyways. I know its hard because you have such big goals for your self and hold your self high standards and then your worried about not only dissappointing family but your self. But i also know its important to take the time and focus on you and your health. I hope you figure out a way to make it work. Everything happens for a reason! Just know your not alone on this choice your having to make.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i found for me.... stress is my biggest enemy.

when i needed to stop work, because i was so sick, the stress made it even worse.
    making a decision will reduce your stress, deciding either way.

no choice is easy, but only you know what is best.
    can you handle summer classes, then full time study?
    listen to your body !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wish you peace of mind in whatever you choose.
    if it was me, id take the less stressful road.
    but it is not me.... you do what is good for you.
    the family will just have to deal with it.

Thanks

I hate to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm the family brags on. Even today we had friends over and my mom was talking about how bad my brothers are doing right now and how they might have to go to summer school and then says well its not as bad for them but this one here is the smart one and looks at me. I feel like they are going to give me hell and if I do decide to live with my boyfriend that will be another fight. I just know that between the two of us there won't be as much to clean or keep track of and if I'm at home they will expect me to do more in the way of household things.

Thanks

Ritz,
    What kind of program are in that requires you to go to school continuously? Can you switch to a program that allows you to take the summer break?
    Don't stop going to school - just figure out a way to slow down and do it at your own pace.
    I'm an enlightened Mom, so I think that if you really feel that living with your boyfriend will be less stressful for you and you are confident that he will take good care of you - go for it! Perhaps the boost in self-esteem that living on your own terms will do a lot for how you feel.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

It doesn't require it really, I just already took all my gen eds so I basically have to take one class after the other from now on because they are all prerequisites for all the other classes I need to take. And the classes I have to take before I can take any others are only offered during the spring and summer, which everyone has been complaining of. They are like the basic classes needed for all the other ones so they should be offered in the fall too. I know a girl in a wheelchair who cant take classes this summer because she won't have someone to take her everyday, and she can't live on campus, so she can't graduate until next spring because of this. Its really frustrating. I love my boyfriend and he really does treat me well. I stay with him on the weekends now, as a way of kind of easing my mom into the idea of me living with him. The problem is finding a new, nicer apartment that we will actually be able to afford.

My body has been so up and down lately I don't know if I will be fine all summer or if I'll keep flaring off and on. And I don't even know whats "flaring" because my rheum keeps saying its not my lupus, she just keeps saying "talk to a therapist". My urologist found nothing wrong with my GI system or bladder so I have had no luck with those problems either. Trying to put the pieces together. Physically I was terrible this morning but it has gotten a little better through the day, or at least I convinced myself it has lol I got up feeling like crap and found my mom upstairs miserable so I've been trying to do the things she usually does, went to work, and have been studying for my finals that are this week. When this week is over, I'm sleeping for a year.lol

Thanks

Before I was diagnosed, I attempted to work full time and attend college classes. 30 years later, I am still working on my degree. I found Upper Iowa University who offers a self-paced external degree (independent study) that works well with my limitations. I have worked with them off and on for over 20 years. Nowadays there are many online programs also, but those are more structured (which can be a good and bad thing).

If you are diagnosed as totally disabled, many states offer Vocational rehabilitation programs through their (state) department of education. Their financial help varies and there may be a waiting period.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tammy1962 For This Useful Post:

ritzbit2 (04-30-2012)