Thread: What can I eat drink or smoke?

Thanks

Default What can I eat drink or smoke?

I am a newly diagnosed person with Lupus but haven't met with my Rheumy. I have been perscribed prednisone temperarily and it has made a difference.

1)The question I have is can I at any stage whether it be a flare up, chronic or remission stage drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, cigars, maryjuana.

2)Also should I wait until I am in a remission stage to excercise? I find when I do any type of excersise I am sore all over like I am frozen shut with pain and stiffness.

3)As well I was mis diagnosed for 4 years and have gained about 50 pounds in the last 6 years and I am sure some of it is bad habit but from what I have learned this could be through Lupus as well. What type of Diet is best for losing this weight?

Looking for answers
    I am a male recently diagnosed with Lupus and want to chat and find out more about it and ways to cope with it.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kennyh70; :lol:

Exercising is one of the best things that you can do for Lupus. Perhaps you can modify your exercise routine/program and just do light stretches and control movements (like yoga or Pilates). Also, swimming is a very good, non strenuous exercise program. I've even had some Lupies tell me that they have gotten good results from Thai Chi.
    With reference to smoking: I am probably not the person to ask because I do not smoke, have never smoked and I do believe that nicotine aggravates many lupus symptoms.
    Smoking Marijuana: There has been discussion about medicinal marijuana use for chronic pain in Lupus. Check out some of the web-sites on the internet.
    With reference to wheight loss, most of our doctors suggest that we change our eating habits: reducing the intake of red meats, legumes, alfalfa sprouts, some dairy products etc. It is suggested that we eat more fresh fruits and vegetable etc. There is no specific lupus diet. If you are trying to lose weight, you are already doing those things that will help (exercising and eating right). With lupus, however, I would suggest that you not go on any restrictive type of diet without your doctors knowledge and permission. Some restrictive diets may cause a flare and you want to avoid lupus flares.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Also, alcohol... Depending on what kind of Lupus you have and what medications they have you on and how much you regularly drink... They told me I could drink a little bit, not to go out partying every weekend... I have a drink on average about once a month or less... Also, I avoid alcohol when I am having a lot of pain... Because, a. I tend to wind up drinking more, and b. even if I am not taking them WITH the alcohol, if I am taking pain killers AT ALL I stay away from alcohol... Whether I COULD drink or not... That's just me though... I'd ask your doctor...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono