Thread: Does this even sound or look like Chilblain Lupus?

Thanks

Default Does this even sound or look like Chilblain Lupus?

Hi all- need to go for a follow up soon and I'm a bit frazzled with everything. I'm a 19 year old male, started having problems with blisters on my fingers 2 yrs. ago that came and got bigger when they were aggravated. First rheum. said arthritis, went to second and was diagnosed with Chilblain Lupus. She still isn't quite certain on it though as the frequency of the blisters doesn't change year round from winter to summer.

I'm taking Nifedipine now for circulation, I honestly don't know if it is working at keeping new ones from coming. High doses of pred. makes them go away- but in all honesty I would rather suffer than be on that stuff. Does this even look like Chil. Lupus? I also had 4 blood tests that showed nothing. White blood cell ct. was the only thing abnormal (very minimally lower than normal). And had one biopsied. Derma. said lab reported the cell structures were related (not exactly matching) to the condition.

http://imgur.com/a/wg1zw#2ct6C

Thanks

I don't know much about Chil. Lupus, so I apologize for the uninformative reply. But, I wanted to welcome you to WHL.

There are many young people here (I'm 20), so I want you to know, we feel your pain! Everyone here was (and is) frazzled quite frequently, and this is a great place to find support and recieve personal advice from people suffering just like you.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will reply to your question soon.

Lexie
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tripLexie For This Useful Post:

Kyle787 (04-24-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Chilblain Lupus is a form of discoid lupus with purplish/blue nodules that are tender. These usually occur on the toes, fingers, heels, calves, knees, nose, and ears. They usually occur after discoid lupus has been present for some years. But there are some who get this alone (without discoid).
    Chilblain is a bit like Raynaud's in that it reacts to exposure to heat, cold and humidity. The difference is that Chilblain gets redness, itching and burning of the skin, especially the fingers, toes, heels, nose and ears and skin lesions may become blistered and or ulcerated. The nodules and lesions are caused when blood leaks into the tissues after exposure to the cold, especially in temperate humid climates. Some refer to frostnip and/ or trench foot as Chiblains (or vice versa) . Chilblains are acral ulcers (that is, ulcers affecting the extremities) that occur when one is exposed to cold and humidity. The cold exposure damages the capillary beds in the skin, which in turn can cause the redness, itching, blisters, and inflammation.
    Chilblains can be prevented by keeping the feet and hands warm in cold weather. Since your Chilblains may have an underlying connective tissue disease associated with it, you should speak with your doctor about also treating the connective tissue disease (if that has not already been done). I know that you said the Prednisone worked well for you, it does work well for so many symptoms. Ask your doctor about a medication to be taken with the Prednisone in order to allow you to remain on a lower dose of the Prednisone in order to keep these symptoms at bay.
    Chilblains are usually treated with lotion and, if the skin has cracked, with an antiseptic.Here is a website with some pictures that you can use for comparison.
    http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/chilblain
    There is a link that you can click on to see many pages of ChilBlain pictures.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

I wish you the best
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

rob (04-25-2012), tgal (04-25-2012)

Thanks

Hi Kyle,

Welcome and sorry for the delayed response. I have had Chilblains (Pernio) on my feet before. It's difficult to tell (and I am not a doctor!) by your picture if it definitely is or is not Chilblains. I don't know what your doctor has done since, but you can take a biopsy of the lesion and then you will know for sure if it is Chilblains. Do you have Raynaud's? My Chilblains resulted secondary to my Raynaud's. Are your hands often cold? Also, my lesion looked similar to yours in the beginning, before I was even concerned about it. But, eventually it became sub-dermal and turned black and blue.

I hope that this issue is resolved by now, but if not I hope this is helpful!
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine