Thread: Flucuating ANA and antibodies?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Flucuating ANA and antibodies?

Well.. The rheumy wanted to confirm labs so he repeated my bloodwork that was done at my primary.

An alas, everything is normal.. So he's not doing anythign but keeping me on the EXTREMELY low dose of prednisone (that isn't doing CRAP) and the yucky crummy Cymbalta.

Why is it that 10 years ago, I had some sort of a positive ANA.. Then I went 10 years of it being normal while my body slowly progressed.. Then I test postive (1:320 speckled/homo) with high levels on anti-RNP and scl-70.. And a month later it's normal? He said all my compliments (?) and other stuff to indicate severity were also normal so he's not worried about increasing meds (despite all my pain????)

I don't know if he's 'undiagnosing' me or what... He was still never really sure if it was Lupus, Scerloderma, or MCTD.. (not that I cared, as long as I was getting treatment).

Anyone wanna shed some light? Personal experience?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

when i had normal bloods, and lots of pain....
    (i was on plaquenil and mtx).
    my rhuemy then looked at fibromyalgia.

it may be worth mentioning it to your rhuemy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-25-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Our ABA fluctuates depending on meds and flares. I read a fabulous Rhuemy once who said he never tested a patient after getting a positive one because that was all he needed. He knew they changed but it didn't chance the fact that it was there.

Lupus symptom themselves are cumulative. Just because you have one and it goes away doesn't mean you then ignore it. You put it on the list and add it to any future Lupus symptoms. Too few people, doctors included, have a clue as to how to deal with this disease
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-25-2012)

Thanks

Lexie,
    Oh yes, this is my constant complaint! My great rheumy in Texas noted that I was "mildly positive" for several things, but if you add them all up, it was obvious that I was in pain. She immediately began treatment. Now the new rheumy did her own blood work, saw that "everything is normal", so she doubts the dx of the other rheumy.
    It makes sense that our labs would fluctuate, depending upon our meds and/or disease activity. I really get mad at the docs who are so arrogant and want to "undiagnose" us.
    Hugs,
    Marla

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

steve.b (04-25-2012), tripLexie (04-25-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, y'all. Yeah I'm glad he's still treating me.. Somewhat... But at the same time I feel like he's been a lot more laxed in his approach of treatment.. because the 5mg of prednisone is not doing a damn thing...

Ugh. Marla, I may be calling your rheumy LOL.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know that the doctor that I go to only tested me once on the ana and said that he didn't need to do it again. That's why sometimes it is confusing to me that everyone gets tested more than once. if it changes then why keep doing it. Just a thought. I am no doctor so what do I know.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaann For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-26-2012), tripLexie (04-26-2012)