Thread: what do you say??

Thanks

Default what do you say??

I have a bad malar rash, it acts up, gets worse, and sometimes calms down.. well what do you say when people ask why your face is red?? mostly people at work, I dont say anything to people at work about lupus cause i just started a new job. one coworker knows but the rest do not.
    lisa
    dx with sle 02/2012 on 10 mg prednisone, 20 mgs simvistatin 7.5 mg meloxicam ,400mg plaquenil,12.5 mgs methotrexate

Thanks

Hi Lisa,
    Unlike you, I had no problems with telling people at work, so if they asked about my red face or my obvious limp, I just made it into a teaching moment about AI diseases. Since you're not comfortable with that in a new workplace, perhaps you can just say "I blush easily" or "I guess I exerted myself" or "I may have gotten a bit too much sun today" - whatever works for you. Also, can you keep a compact of face powder handy for quick cover-ups?
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tgal (03-24-2012)

Thanks

I tell everyone about all my odd ball problems. For me its my raynauds I always get asked about. "OMG! What is wrong with your hands are you ok?" and I just laugh and say oh that happens all the time and tell them why. In class the other day my professor was telling a funny story and I guess he thought my face was red because I was embarrassed or laughing or something and pointed it out too my entire class. I didnt really appreciate it..I was going to skip his class to go home and take a nap before work and once he did that I really wished I had! lol They had this green makeup that covers up red spots I believe. They like cancel each other out or something then you put your regular makeup on top of it.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Never really had an issue telling people about lupus but when I was working for verizon at the call center, They kept the place very cold and I would turn blue all the time, I would just tell people my dad was papa smurf and Sometimes my smurfness comes out. They would get a kick out of it, but there were days when people would think I was having sever heart problems and want to see if I was alright. once I explained it, it was a lot better. Hope you find a way to tell people that is suitable for you. good luck with it. and take care
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I like to mess with people who asks me, I can't help it. Like if someone asks why my face is so red I will reply with something on the lines of "A ninja with a deformed hand smacked me". Really just anything that pops up but I like to joke with people about things like that but I do afterwards tell them without any details.
    There is what Ritz said green make-up, I live by the stuff. You can find it in a tube and it's pretty cheap. You put it on before the base because the green blocks out the red.
    People will understand and my rash was horrible(borderline purple) when I was in high school. You can imagine the questions I got and rude comments about it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I either flat out tell them it's a lupus thing or I'll be a smart alek and tell people it complements my outfit- you so know how I love to accessorize! Or if I'm really feeling froggy I'll deny it totally. Deadpan straight face they must be seeing things deny it.

I also agree that green tinted base makeup is a wonderful thing! Physician's Formula is my personal favority and even Elf which is super cheap works great
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

I understand you not wanting people at your work knowing about lupus. I feel the same way. I only have a slight blush about my face and I'm not even sure it's lupus related. I would simply say, "Oh that, it's just a rash". No need to go into anymore details.

good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Use some Green consealer to put under your foundation it works GREAT! My face stays flared with the molar rash and I use the green consealer daily!