Thread: Insomnia

Thanks

Default Insomnia

I am tired of having insomnia, literally. I seem to go through phases where I can sleep fine and then next thing I know, I can't sleep despite being exhausted. Yesterday was a relatively good day despite a lack of sleep until my knee became unstable last night and the pain started. I grabbed a knee brace and put a heating pad on it and by this morning it was much better. Unfortunately, the four hours of sleep that I got last night seems to be wearing on me. I was able to take an hour long nap this afternoon just to awaken drenched from sweating so bad. Tonight the fever is back, my hands are swollen and hot, hot, hot and very achy. I keep holding ice packs trying to cool them down without stopping my circulation totally. I do appreciate the days when I feel pretty good and don't need pain medications but somehow these good days just make the hard days feel more difficult. I'm guessing depression has something to do with it. It just never feels fair to feel "normal" one day and the next can be horrendous. It's like a physical, emotional, and psychological roller coaster that you just can't get off of. Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to at least combat the sadness that comes from not feeling well? And if anyone has tricks for breaking the insomnia cycle I would love to hear from you.
    Many thanks,
    EJRN

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Insomnia is something that many of us suffer from. There is no easy answer as to how to cure it. Many people take meds to help with it. Some of the meds used for sleeping actually help with fibro pain as well as mood issues.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about antidepressants. This disease affects not only the body but the brain and often times the hormones that regulate mood. Asking for meds is not a sign of weakness. Just do whatever you have to do to get to a better place.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I feel you on the 'phases'. I'm SUCH a phaser. Sometimes, for weeks, I sleep just fine. Sometimes, the simplest little noise wakes me up. And other times, I can't get to sleep to begin with. I agree with Mari, talk to your doc!

Sorry to hear you're having issues! When I'm going through a no-sleep phase, taking a hot bath, drinking 'sleepy-time' tea, and immediately lying down on the heating pad helps (somtimes). Feel better and prayers out to ya <3
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn