Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asthma relief?

Thanks

Glad you're getting some relief. Asthma sucks!

Thanks

Well.. I spoke to soon. I was late on taking my steriod last night and it must of induced some sort of an attack. I couldn't breathe at all and I began to hyperventilate.

My whole body went faint.. My legs, hands and lips went numb and tingly.. My hands starting severly shaking and my teeth were chattering, my body got SO cold... I started to wheeze. We were about to go to the hospital and I finally, slowly, over the course of 15 minutes, slowed my breaths and got it somewhat under control.. I was up all night though with the fear of something like that happening again. I will NEVER forget to take my steriod ever again. Do these symptoms sound like asthma??
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

A few thoughts... asthma can be a symptom of another illness, as well as a diagnosis. Have you been tested for allergies?

Someone pointed this out, but worth repeating, asthma (like SLE Lupus) can vary greatly from person to person. Two things trigger a major asthma attack for me... infection (sinus or chest) and bad reflux/asperation.

This might be out-dated, but when I was first diagnosed with asthma (20 years ago)... I was prescribed a preventative inhaler along with urgent relief inhaler. Might be worth checking into.
    Diagnosed in 1991 with Fibromyalgia, followed by SLE Lupus, Raynaud's phenomenon, Sjogren's Syndrome, Vertigo (Autoimmune inner ear and/or CNS), neurogenic bladder and colon.

Thanks

I meant to share, in case you have not already heard this tip: If you find yourself without an ugent relief inhaler... a hot cup of regular coffee (with caffiene) can bring relief too. Metabolic breakdown is almost identical to Proventil (Albuterol).
    Diagnosed in 1991 with Fibromyalgia, followed by SLE Lupus, Raynaud's phenomenon, Sjogren's Syndrome, Vertigo (Autoimmune inner ear and/or CNS), neurogenic bladder and colon.

Thanks

I double the hot caffinated coffee, I was told the same thing by my asthma dr. in case I ever forgot my inhaler. If it is allergy related, singulair is a wonderful med that works for both allergy relief and asthma. Like Tammy, sinus, reflux and beleive it or not...laughing hard can bring on an asthma attack pretty quick. I know emotions can bring on an attack, may you started to panic and that caused the attack. I take a daily med plus my rescue. Good Luck, sounds like it just needs to be under better control.

Thanks

Well, I take an inhaled steroid twice a day plus my fast-acting.. I always have them on me. Thanks for the tip!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Lexie,
    I agree about the coffee - Mountain Dew is also good - anything that is highly caffeinated.
    When I had just been hired at the High School, and we were getting ready to open, I ran across our new assistant principal and a young lady who was there for band practice. She was obviously having an asthma attack, and the AP had no idea how to help her. The old Mom here jumped in. I sat her down with her head between her knees and asked her about her inhaler. Of course, she had forgotten it. I sort of ordered the AP to go get her some coffee, Mountain Dew or even a Coke - anything with lots of caffeine. He thought I was nuts, but did as he was told and brought a cup of coffee from the teacher's lounge.
    I explained it to him after we got the young lady breathing better and had called her mother. The next day, the school nurse thanked me and told me that she keeps a supply of Mountain Dew for just such emergencies.
    These are tricks that you learn as the Mom of asthmatics.
    Hugs,
    Marla