Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asthma relief?

Thanks

Exclamation Asthma relief?

I have an inhaler, and was insturcted to use when I was feeling 'shortness of breath' or air hunger. Problem is, I can hardly get a deep enough (satisfying) breath in to begin with. I am constantly struggling. I'm not passing out, turning blue, or anything severe... But I have to walk around, stand up, do different weird things for several minutes (along with 1 or 2 puffs from the inhaler) just to acheive a satisftying breath.

I have requested a pulm. functions test and was told since my chest x-ray was normal there was no need. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm having a CONSTANT struggle to breathe! Everyday!

I'm pretty sure my GP thinks it's anxiety related. And while I may begin to get anxious during an episode, they definetly don't arise from anything I am aware of. I'm almost always at work and it's usually closer to the afternoon. I've had an episode several times a day every day this week. I have an appt. with the primary on Monday and then an appt. with my rheumy Thursday. Hopefully it can wait..

I've also *FELT* weezing. Maybe it could be heard with a stethoscope, but it wasn't one you could hear with the naked ear. But I can feel breathing in out, a sense of wheezing.. If that makes sense? I don't know.

What other things can I do to help alleviate this?? I feel like the inhaler is pointless if I can hardly get a breath to begin with.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

do you use a spacer chamber, with the inhaler.
    i have a nephew who uses one.
    the doctor suggested it for him, as he is young and only takes small breaths.
    it holds the excess powder, untill he breathes it in.
    and it mixes the powder better, (because of his weak suck it does not mix properly.)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-13-2012)

Thanks

No, I don't. Maybe I'll have to ask the doc about this.

Thanks!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks

just ask your local chemist.
    they can show you one, and explain all about it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A new doctor will help.Before i was diagnosed with asthma,my doctor told me my chest was clear and i didnt have anything wrong.When i changed doctors they told me i had severe asthma.My problem was at night my attacks started.Make sure he hears you when you say/shout I CAN NOT BREATH properly...cause some will talk over you.If you are wheezing ...thats not nothing.Goodluck.
    LOve
    Amanda.xx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Oliver For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-13-2012)

Thanks

Hi Lexie

I have had episodes where I cant take a deep breath, physio taught me some deep breathing exercises where you breathe from the stomach (or something like that), she said sometimes asthmatics 'dont breathe properly' as in poor technique.

Another thing I would urge you to do is to buy a peak flow meter and record the readings before and after your inhalers, and get that spacer someone mentioned, it will be valuable for your GP to see the readings - do it twice a day.

Deep and correct breathing techniques are excellent as they say many asthmatics have a tendency to over breathe but at least if you are armed with your peak flow readings, that will show just how much the inhaler is helping and what your forced expiratory volume is and will get your GP to take you a bit more seriously.

I know when I am anxious, taking a deep breath is harder and the more I think about it, the harder it becomes - but that is just me.

I record my peak flow as I am requiring nebulizers as I have Sjogrens which is really affecting my lungs at the moment, I wasnt asked to keep it but I have the Rhuemy on Wednesday so am going to make it a bit easier for him.

Good luck with it Lexie. xxx

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corella For This Useful Post:

steve.b (04-14-2012), tripLexie (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Asthma can look very different in different people.
    Kayla had the stereotypical symptoms - when she wheezed you could hear it from across the room.
    Meg had "stealth asthma". She never wheezed, but her lungs sort of seized up. She couldn't breath right, and if she didn't get her inhaler or nebulizer, her lips would start to turn blue. The school nurse often accused her of lying because she wasn't wheezing and wouldn't call me until Meg's lips were blue and she was in full asthma attack mode. I did not much like school nurses!

Hillary had a few bouts of exercise-induced asthma when she played tennis in high school, so she also carried an inhaler. She never had a problem in college, but she suddenly had an asthma attack when she was in labor! It was a good thing that I always carried one in my purse because of her little sisters. She used it, and then went on with her labor without a problem.

The only way to get a really good dx of which kind of asthma you have is to see a pulmonologist. We were lucky to find an excellent one for the girls.
    Hugs,
    Marla

11. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Well, he did a pulm. functions test and wasn't happy with it. He wanted to me to repeat at rheumy. He said for my age, my lung function is very low. He's starting me on a inhaled steriod thingy twice a day plus my fast-acting one.

He also instructed me to call them if I have an episode.. Unless I'm turning blue, choking, etc. Obviously I'd need to head to ER in that case.

Thanks everyone for the input!! I basically forced them to do a pum. functions haha!!!
    -Robert Eliot

Blog Entries
    Thanks

lexie,
    did you ask about the spacer for the inhaler?

Thanks

Yes, he told me to ask the pharmacy for one. If not them, a medical supplies store. Thanks everyone for the advice!! The inhaled steriods are already starting to work I think.
    -Robert Eliot