Thread: Help from those who have successfully gotten their Soc Sec Disability

Thanks

Question Help from those who have successfully gotten their Soc Sec Disability

I received a thick packet from SS today of forms to complete and return before ten days regarding my disability claim. Has anyone successfully done this before that can offer any tips, suggestions, recommendations to hopefully getting approval the first time around? Any help is appreciated.

Ciji

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am going to be no help. I was denied (as are most people) until I got an attorney. I know Rob did his on his own. If he comes on I am sure he will have some tips

FYI...Once approved you will get your Medicare 2 and 6 months from the date they decided you were disabled (They backdated my Dis. to April and there is a 6 month delay which is Oct. 2 years from that time... which is Oct of this year I will finally have medical coverage!). It is a long ride!
    Last edited by tgal; 04-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just get a lawyer straight off, I wish I did when I first started because they are so helpful. They are most likely going to deny you, sorry to say that but thats the system. Disability just kept pulling me through the wringer, it was so much less stressful once I got my lawyer. Sadly i'm still going through this process, I kept getting denied because of my age.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I am going to be no help. I was denied (as are most people) until I got an attorney. I know Rob did his on his own. If he comes on I am sure he will have some tips

FYI...Once approved you will get your Medicare 2 and 6 months from the date they decided you were disabled (They backdated my Dis. to April and there is a 6 month delay which is Oct. 2 years from that time... which is Oct of this year I will finally have medical coverage!). It is a long ride!
    Actually, my father handled my case and did all the paperwork and legwork for me. He was something of a legal genius.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks

I replied to an add that was on WHL, the dissability digest, signed up for the e-mail updates and pretty much followed the info from there, I didn't buy the book, however I did get excepted the first time which took about a year and a half. I will say that in the course of me trying to keep working and the doctors that I had seen I had some very good records to back up my claim. And the most important, Pray! good luck.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3