Thread: Medical Shortfall?

Thanks

Unhappy Medical Shortfall?

Hi Everyone,

Until a few weeks ago i did not know what Lupus was, a dear friend was admitted into the Hospital as she was experiencing severe fatigue, headaches and could barely walk, only 27 yrs old.
    Her blood test showed SLE and the docs said that it was a critical situation as her kidneys were failing and liver was inflammed, they immediately put her on steroids for 3-4 days, she seemed to look better and was then sent for a dialysis which went fine, though she still looked very weak and wouldnt eat unless force fed, also her speech was affected, and developed a severe cough, docs said this was due to muscle weakness from not eating, she was examined on several occasions and the docs maintained that she was totally fine and was ready to go home soon as she regained her strength. On her 10th day at the hospital she stopped eating or talking totally and seemed to be sleeping all day, we called for the doc who showed up the next day only to tell us that she has indications of lupus cerebritus and needed an MRI, she eventually passed away the next day as the brain had swollen beyond any sort of recovery.
    My question is this, for someone with such severe symptoms of Lupus should there not have been given an MRI on admission to the hospital to determine the extent of the infections brought on? I believe her weakness on admission and slurred speech was as a result of her existing L.Cerebritus which went undiagnosed.
    What do u think?

Regards
    NBFash

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First let me say how sorry that I am that you lost a friend to this horrible disease. I can't really answer the "shouldn't have" question because I was not there to see what happened. I am not sure what you mean "the blood test showed SLE" because there are no real tests that confirm SLE. There are test that help lead to that decision and I am assuming that is what the doctors saw. Whether with SLE or not you would think that someone having slurred speech and the other symptoms you mentioned would have had an MRI but it is possible they chose a CT instead. The sad thing is that too many people (Doctors included) don't really understand SLE and often the proper steps are not taken. I do not know if this is the case in your friends situation or not but, whatever the case, the outcome is a tragedy.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

@ Tgal thanks for your reply, i dont recall exactly but believe the blood test stated a shortfall of some sort in the blood " indicative of SLE", il have to check if a CT scan was done but the neurologist that was brought in seemed to say that he did not see one in her files.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

hi ash.
    i am sorry to hear of your friend.

it is impossible for us to say what should have happenned.
    as we were not there, and we are not doctors.

we live with lupus everyday, so we do understand a little.
    lupus is caused by the bodys immune system attacking parts of the body.
    doctors can see the damage....
    but they cannot actually test "for lupus".

diagnosis is usually only given after lots of other possabilities are ruled out.

again i am sorry your friend lost her life.
    we all feel her loss, as we live with lupus also.

please feel free to stay a member of this forum. we are here for people with lupus, and friends as well.

Thanks

Hi Ash,
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks Steve and Marla......