Thread: Started Methotrexate last night....

Thanks

Question Started Methotrexate last night....

Hello all. I hope you are well. I had my Rheumy appointment yesterday and she said my latest labs showed disease activity. My ana was the highest titer it's ever been with a homogenous pattern. My complements have continued to stay low and dip as well. I have been on prednisone for over a year and not been able to come off of it. My Rheumy seems to think it's due to a combination of all 3 factors including Adrenal Insufficiency, Steroid Withdrawal and Lupus Inflammation I currently have small ulcers and fatigue but this was before starting the metho last night..... So....she has left me on 7.,5mg of Prednisone and Added 2 2.5mg Pills a week for 3 weeks and then 3 2.5mg pills a week after I get the blood levels done when the first 2 weeks are completed. I'm also on Folic Acid 1mg/day which my Rheumy said helps with side effects.

Can I get some input on the med and how it has affected others? It's hard to believe we are treated with chemo/cancer drugs. I've even read they use it for ectopic pregnancy. I have severe photosensitivity already and am allergic to chemicals in sunscreen so i cannot use any of it. Any ideas on how the hair loss and nausea will be? Anything anyone wants to say about it is welcome!

Take care and God Bless!

-Lupie LadyBug
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey there. I found that taking it at night helps with the upset stomach. The stomach issues get better after your body gets used to it though. I had to come off of it for a couple of weeks and I dealt with it again. It really isn't bad. It is not near as bad as I was scared it would be. After the first few weeks at full dose, if you take it at night, you will hardly notice it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

The only nausea I had happened within the first 2 weeks of starting the medication. I would take my weekly dose (6 2.5mg) on Saturday night then I'd get the nausea on Sunday. Never anything too bad and the rest of the week I wouldn't have any. The hair loss I wasn't too thrilled about. I already had really fine hair to begin with, so any kind of hair loss was quite noticeable to me. My rheumy increased my Folic Acid from 1mg/day to 2mg/day and he also put me on 5mg leucovorin that I take once a week. (Leucovorin is a Folinic Acid, which is a type of Folic Acid). I still have some hair loss, but not nearly as bad as I used to.

Thanks

Britt,
    I used to take MTX. My stomach would not tolerate the pills at all, but I did fine on the injections. I didn't notice any hair loss at all. We take much lower doses than cancer patients take.
    Check through the archives for a thread called "It's M Day". That thread is full of great information, and it really helped me.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Found it! http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...seedeadmonkeys
    Last edited by magistramarla; 04-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

some helpful information i was told.

never take folic acid on mtx day.

both drugs create chemical reaction in our body.
    but the reaction from folic acid interferes with mtx.

i have recently cut down my mtx to 10mg.
    but i am still on 5mg of folic acid 6 days a week.

in australia they offer a 10mg dosage of mtx.
    it is called methoblastin.
    we also have 2.5mg.