Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new here but was considering Benlysta

Thanks

Default new here but was considering Benlysta

hi everyone. im new here. i have had sle since 16 and im now 32. i would say the lupus is moderately under control.i seems to be attacking my skin not vital organs. praise God. i have been on prednisone since 16 also. i have moon face butterfly rash and rash all over my body aches and pains galore sometimes feeling like im 90. my rheum dr tried to reduce my prednisone and resulted in my skin breaking down and opening up into about 100 open body ulcers. it was horrible. took months to heal. only by raising the prednisone,calmoseptine,(zinc oxide) tegederm, my husband, ,home nursing and lots of prayer did they heal. sometimes they still try to come back but i know what to do now.Prednisone is a blessing and a curse.it knocks out flareups but causes diabetes, weight gain, fatty deposits, osteoporosis,glaucoma, moon face(did i miss any). but now my rheum wants me to try Benlysta. but im afraid. Benlysta provides an increased risk of cancer.i have cancer in my family and had an abnormal pap test.and it also has a multitude of side effects but what drug doesnt. but the cancer issue scares me. has anyone found complete study results information of this drugs state and foreign studies.

i think i will let this drug marinate and get a little seasoned with a little bit more results. i just feel they pushed this drug too quick. i know everyone is different and has different reactions. but i just want to hear from people who have taken it. i have bad veins and would need a central port.

im interested in finding out about foods that cause pain and foods that help. i want to find out what foods might be hurting me. maybe it could lead to getting off some of my meds. by the way i take prednisone plaquenil nexium ibuprofen ultram lorazepam to help me sleep i get insomnia klor con(potassium) metoprolol vit d stool softener tylenol baclofen mag oxide (bad muscle cramps) eye drops and creams.

in addition to sle i have fibromyalgia, peripherial neuropathy, raynauds phenonomon, sjogrens syndrome but yet i push on. i was told to get my mind off myself and remember there is always someone worse off than you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

we have1 of our members that has been on benlysta a while.
    they have started writting in a blog.
    go to the blog section for more information.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-07-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

If, after reading the blog, you would still like more information, please let us know. We will be more than happy to research and/or provide personal experience in order to help you as much as we can.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

thepaynes (02-08-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I will be happy to help you find information but I am not on it. I have no insurance and it is $35,000 a year without it so it is not an option for me.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

thepaynes (02-08-2012)

Thanks

i have a number for anyone who needs help paying for benlysta. they were going to help me but i decided i wanted to let it get more seasoned before i try it. i heal slow n would need a central line port. plus n more importantly i have cancer in my family and an abnormal pap. IT DOESNT CAUSE CANCER BUT INCREASES THE RISK.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thepaynes For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-20-2012)

Thanks

do u know who or on which blog specifically? i will look around tho.

Thanks

i have a number for 2 companies that were willing to help me if ur interested.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thepaynes For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-20-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thepaynes View Post
    do u know who or on which blog specifically? i will look around tho.
    The WHL member with the Benlysta Blog goes by the username slim.

Here are links to the two blog entries made so far-

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/entry.p...ysta-treatment

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/entry.p...nlysta-round-2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-20-2012)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I just want to comment about the increase in cancer rates. Almost any drug that we take is going to have to carry that warning because to treat an AI disease the medicine must decrease our immune system. In doing so we are more susceptible to everything. We must also look at the percentage of people that got cancer in the the trials. If it is under 5% it is basically the same as that group would be without the meds but it must be reported.

I am not really talking about this med specifically I am just pointing out that, although we must be informed, we can't freak over all the warnings. We must weigh them with the benefits of each drug
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (02-20-2012)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I just want to comment about the increase in cancer rates. Almost any drug that we take is going to have to carry that warning because to treat an AI disease the medicine must decrease our immune system. In doing so we are more susceptible to everything. We must also look at the percentage of people that got cancer in the the trials. If it is under 5% it is basically the same as that group would be without the meds but it must be reported.

I am not really talking about this med specifically I am just pointing out that, although we must be informed, we can't freak over all the warnings. We must weigh them with the benefits of each drug
    Excellent points and great information. Thank you, so much, for posting this Tgal!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-20-2012)