Thread: Throbbing pain at temple, aching jaw

Thanks

Thumbs down Throbbing pain at temple, aching jaw

I've had a throbbing pain at my right temple for 5 hours now. I am miserable. It's sharp, almost stingy, and hurts to touch. (I didn't hit it.. No brusing.)

I'm also having some extreme pain in my jaw. Well, more like my gums. They're like extremely achey. Ugh.

I just took some Tylenol, what my rheum. reccomends for headaches. I mean, I guess this is a headache.

Maybe a side effect of the new meds? I recently started prednisone. Plus the Lyrica and Omeprazole. Ugh... Anyone else with the same thing? Help me relieve this pain!!!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tripLexie For This Useful Post:

leaann (04-12-2012)

Thanks

When I first started steriods I was getting bad headaches from them for maybe the first week or so and then they went away. If the tylenol doesn't help and its still there tomorrow I would call and ask what else to do for it. I take extra strength excedrin and that sometimes helps more than tylenol.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit2 For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-09-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi,
    last week I started having a pain at my temple on the right side and then it went down to my eye then my ear and my jaw, I wound up going to er, they did nothing but when I went to the doctor yesterday, he stated that I had Temporal Artists and TMJ Mine had gotten infected so bad that they put me on antibiotics, it seems to help and is not as bad as yesterday. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about it. I would have never thought that was my issue, But I had never heard of temporal artists but however I have had lock jaw before or TMJ before. It is not cool and causes alot of pain.

hope you get some relief soon
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leaann For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-12-2012)

Thanks

It almost sounds like your trigeminal nerve is inflammed. Can you tolerate ibuprofen? Tylenol doesn't help with inflammation. Although it is probably painful to the touch, maybe you can try an ice pack or heat to see if either of those may bring some relief

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EJRN For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-13-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJRN View Post
    It almost sounds like your trigeminal nerve is inflammed.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia a couple of years ago. I have had some terribly painful experiences in the past, including passing a kidney stone, and more than a few broken bones. The pain from all of those things combined pales in comparison to the pain from a T.N. flareup. It was horrible, debilitating pain. Eventually Neurontin in it's max dose got the pain under control.

Rob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-13-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had similiar pain and then i got lock jaw a few times.The last time i cracked 3 teeth including a gold crown...it was terrible.....i have tmj but go get it checked as above it may be TN.
    love
    amanda.x
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx