Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not yet diagnosed with anything but have questions

Thanks

Default Not yet diagnosed with anything but have questions

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here and wanted some advice. I have been having fevers for quite some time now. They dont ever go above 100.9 and usually stay between 99 and 100.5. I have some form of arthritis or what seems like arthritis in my ankles, knees (mainly my right knee) and left hip. I do have pain occasionally in my hands and wrists. Both sides are not usually painful at the same time. My hands are often cold, mainly my fingertips on my right hand when I'm perfectly warm otherwise. I have a slight rash thats starting to appear and disaapears fast on my left cheek and maybe my nose but it's not red enough to really show much. It appears to be hives of some kind. I am super sensitive to sunlight I've always had "sun poisoning" or what is known as Polymorphous Light Eruption. I get bad hives on my arms hours or sometimes minutes after UV exposure and it lasts about a week and is quite painful if slapped or bumped into. It itches like mad. Iv'e had that since I was a little kid. I'm 27 years old. My C-reactive protein is quite high and my SED rate is a little high. I may be developing anemia but my doctor didn't say anything about it but I always look at my lab results and check to see if they are in range. If not, I research it and try to figure out why they aren't in range. I'm sure there are other things that bother me but I just want to see what you all think of my issues. I usually am very fatigued and just not energetic at all but since I started the Atkins diet that fatige is mostly gone. Luckily. I think I have an issue with processing carbs. I have diabetes and psoriasis on my hands and feet. Slow thyroid. High BP, high cholesterol and have bipolar AND schizophrenia. So that's me in a nutshell.

Please let me know what I can do to get some kind of diagnosis with my symptoms that seem a lot like lupus... I guess I am looking for advice on how to broach the subject with my doctor. Thank you for listening.

Brittany

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

While all of the symptoms you described are symptoms of Lupus, there is no way that we can say that you might have the illness. I would suggest that, the best way to approach your doctor is to be absolutely forthright and informed. There is a sticky here that lists the tests used for diagnosing Lupus..there are quite a few of them. Read them so that you can understand their purpose in the process of diagnosing the disease. Continue to research and make a list of all of your symptoms so that you can discuss them with your doctor along with your reasons for wanting to be tested for any possible auto-immune disorder.
    Please know the the diagnostic process can sometimes take up to a year before you get a definite diagnosis. Also know that, for many, a definite diagnosis is never received and they are told that they either have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease or Undifferentiated Tissue Disease or are simply told that no answers can be given at this time. So, do not stress over the fact that answers do not come quickly and treatment can come even slower.
    In the meantime, we are all here to help you and to answer your questions as best as we can. I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-09-2012)

Thanks

Thank you for your reply saysusie. I feel better knowing I'm not going crazy. I'll note everything and print it off and see my doctor. The fevers started (I think) about 6 weeks or so ago, I didn't have a thermometer when they started though I had the tell-tale signs like joint pain and feeling cold then hot then cold, etc. I still have that. I did apparently have mononucleosis but the fevers from mono should have been 101+ and only last 2 weeks, not over a month. I'll ask my doc to test me for the antibodies (?) for lupus. Again, thank you for your reply. I feel better about it.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Susie gave you the best possible answer. It can take a very long time because the symptoms of Lupus actually mimic many other medical problems. Hopefully you find out what is wrong relatively quickly so you can get well soon!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thanks, tgal I am going to work with my doctor to see if I can find answers sooner rather than later. Hope all is well with you both. Brittany

Thanks

I had my doctors appointment today. I mentioned lupus as to a possible reason I have these symptoms. He nodded and thought for a while and came up with another reason or two as to why I'd have fevers like this for so long. He took a bunch of blood and is sending it to the lab. He said if he can't figure out why I'm having these fevers he would send me to the hospital lab to have a blood culture done to make sure I don't have some kind of blood infection. He also said that my Risperdal (bipolar med) could be causing my fevers and then he said thta it would be life threatening if that was the cause... I really hope that's not the cause. Risperdal really works for me for my psychosis stuff... So we'll see what this round of bloodwork tells us.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

at least he listenned.
    and considered your opinion.

that is better than a lot of doctors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-16-2012)

Thanks

Yes - I am thankful for that. I expected him to blow me off on the subject. But he acknowledged my idea. I'm happy with that. So tomorrow afternoon or the next day I should know my results (I'll have a copy of them on my account online) so I can research what the highs and lows and even the normal results mean. I hope to have some kind of answer. Apparently I did have mono sometime in teh past like 3 months or less because the antibodies (?) were there as well as the old antibodies from previous mono reactivations. I checked out "chronic epstein barr virus" and didn't seem to have any but one or two of the symptoms like fever and joint pain. But we'll figure it out eventually. Hopefully it's nothing like cancer or a life-threatening form of anything.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Keep us posted!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I will! Thanks for your support