Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suffering from sticker shock!

Thanks

Default Suffering from sticker shock!

I went to my ruhemy yesterday for my 3 month check up (had blood work done a few days ago so he already had the results)sed rate slightly elevated but as usual my ds-dna was elevated and this is what concerns him.
    So its time to try a new drug-already tried mtx and imuran so now we are trying cellacept.

I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and the girl said that will be $122.17- I said don't forget I have insurance- she said thats with your insurance-your insurance saved you $877. dollars

Makes you appreciate good old inexpensive plaquenol!

Take Care Niall

Thanks

Are you taking the generic of cellcept? Its much cheaper and just as effective. When I was first prescribed it my mom was amazed to see what it would normally have cost and it was almost that much as well however the insurance covered the generic and only partially covered the actual cellcept. I have done very well and see no reason to think the generic is not as good as the brand name. Its the most expensive medication I'm on it amazed me the prices of these pills without insurance!
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit2 For This Useful Post:

n.mac (04-06-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Without insurance that prescription costs $877?? A month?? Or a year?! Or am I confused? I am so glad you have insurance.

Holy cow, the United States continues to amaze me...
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Thanks

Its that much for a month if you don't have insurance! Isn't that nuts??? I would be spending well over $1,000 a month on meds if my mom didn't have good insurance. I'm so glad I get to stay on it until I'm 26. I don't know what will happen after that.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's a crime what some of the prescriptions cost. I heard that we in the United States subsidize the medicines in third world countries, plus the research costs connected with getting a drug on the market, pharmaceutical markups, etc., etc., really bring up the cost of medicine here in the U.S. Without insurance or some type of medical plan, the individual is pretty much had. My Dr. explained this to me one day in his office, only he was much more detailed in his explanation.

Thanks

The retail price for 120 pills is $939.99.
    Initial dose is 1pill(500mg) twice daily for 2 weeks-then increasing to 2 pills twice daily.
    So 120 pills will last 30 days after the first 2 weeks.

The name on the bottle is mycophenolate mofetil -so I'm assuming this is the generic.

I do have good insurance-thats why it surprised me.
    Although the dr. told me many insurance co. balk at cellacept because it is expensive and it is not specifically a lupus medication rather it is classified as an anti-rejection med.

Thanks

I have a friend who has a different kind of autoimmune issue, and her meds run $30-$40K per year. It's INSANE. And if she doesn't take them...she dies. What kind of situation is that? It's just ridiculous. Her whole life revolves around making sure she has insurance coverage....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    The retail price for 120 pills is $939.99.
    Initial dose is 1pill(500mg) twice daily for 2 weeks-then increasing to 2 pills twice daily.
    So 120 pills will last 30 days after the first 2 weeks.

The name on the bottle is mycophenolate mofetil -so I'm assuming this is the generic.

I do have good insurance-thats why it surprised me.
    Although the dr. told me many insurance co. balk at cellacept because it is expensive and it is not specifically a lupus medication rather it is classified as an anti-rejection med.
    That seems so insane to me. I have the mycophenolate mofetil as well and I only pay $10 for it. Maybe you can ask insurance why you still owe so much on it? I'm sure they could explain it to you. That just seems like such an insane price for something that is needed every month. While its not a lupus specific medication, technically nothing we take is "lupus specific" they are all sort of borrowed from other things when people discovered how useful they were for our treatment lol like plaquenil is an anti-malaria drug. Cellcept is really common as a lupus treatment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So true. Is there a lupus drug which was formulated exclusively for Lupus, then maybe used for other illnesses and problems?

Thanks

Im very sorry to hear that i work in a pharmacy and even that seems high to me but make sure they did bill for the genric and kknow your not aloone that drugs are some of the most impotant part yet can get out of hand quick. One piece of advice is go to local owned pharamacy not only will give you fairest price and get advice on all you meds

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Codi98 For This Useful Post:

n.mac (04-06-2012)