Thread: Pancreas. Really? REALLY?!

Thanks

Unhappy Pancreas. Really? REALLY?!

Of all the things I was most afraid to have attacked, it's my pancreas, and that is what appears to be happening. Maybe Im jumping to conclusions, maybe overreacting, but, I'll be having a CT scan to check my pancreas today by order of my GP, who of course still does not believe I could have Lupus. I just have this pancreas blood test that is very abnormal, and lots of pain in my pancreas, but, none of the other usual symptoms, not yet anyway. So, what's the deal? Is it Lupus, is it because I'm a heavy drinker like other people with pancreatitis? Hmm, I don't drink, not one drop. I'm actually allergic to alcohol, so, even if I wanted to drink, I couldn't. Can't be Lupus, I don't have Lupus. None of my other symptoms of Lupus have ever turned out to convince my GP that I have Lupus, and the cost of a rhumey and all the tests is just not in the budget, so, I manage my symptoms and know inside that I have Lupus, but, until I get something dramatic, no one will believe me.

Off I go today, to see what's wrong now. And of all the symptoms of pancreatitis that I wish I had but also did not get, dramatic weight loss. Could stand to lose a few or twenty pounds, but no, I don't have that symptom. Sigh....

Rant over, back to earth again, plodding off for more radioactive testing that will again say, nope you don't have Lupus, we don't know what's wrong with you. It must all be in your head. Write that on my tombstone.

Thanks

Good luck with your test. I hope that someday, someone believes you and you get the medical justification you so desire. hang in there.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teresaa40 View Post
    None of my other symptoms of Lupus have ever turned out to convince my GP that I have Lupus,
    Hi Teresa,

You should tell your GP that since a Rheumatologist is the medical professional who makes a Lupus diagnosis, and not a GP, his being "convinced" that you have Lupus is hardly necessary, and since he is not technically qualified to make a Lupus diagnosis in the first place, his opinion on this matter for the most part means diddley squat.

Good luck with the upcoming test.

Hang in there,

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-05-2012 at 03:58 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-07-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i offer you my good thoughts.

may it just be an infection or something easily treated.

heres hoping.....

Thanks

Hey Teresa,
    My thoughts are with you. Be sure to let us know what the tests show.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good thoughts and hugs

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Let us know how it turns out. I hope you find some answers soon!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Well, it's been a long couple of weeks. The pancreas enzyme, Lipase, was just a bit high, so the GP decided it was pancreatitis so he put me on a clear liquid diet. Then the CT scan showed my pancreas was fine, my liver was fine, my right kidney has a cyst, and my spleen has two anuerysms. No leaking of fluid anywhere, no stones anywhere. So, he figured it was still pancreatitis, just not showing up on the CT and kept me on the liquid diet all through Easter weekend. I lost nearly ten pounds and a lot of patience, and then on Easter Sunday I had a sore pop up on my abdomen and a couple tiny ones on my back. Went back to the GP and he redid my blood work, but decided it was Shingles after all. Next day my Lipase was completely normal. So, now I've been taking meds for Shingles and it's clearing up slowly. GP figures the Shingles irritated my pancreas enough to send it into a high Lipase count.

I really need to get into a Rhuemy and get started on a diagnosis. Now I need a follow up CT in 6 months to check on the anuerysms, if they grow I have to have them dealt with. I don't know why I can never remember to just make the appointment during business hours. I always think about it when I'm at work, sitting in front of my computer, but, I work graves, so, by the time I wake up I forget about it. I can't even seem to remember to leave myself a note.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

thank goodness you got it all sorted out.
    it does sound familiar, doctor sees a symptom and treats it.... not checking for the real cause.
    with ai problems we always need to look further, just in case.

Thanks

I really feel for you - as if Lupus and other autoimmune diseases arent bad enough, there always seems to be Dr's who make you feel like "everything is in your head". I had, for years, seen Dr after Dr telling them that I didn't feel well. I would have strange symptoms in all different parts of my body. I would swell, have rashes, severe headaches, and a myriad of other symptoms and what I got was a visit to the head of psychiatry at Mayo Clinic. At one point I was really hoping that I could even get a diagnosis of "crazy", lol so at least I could take some medicine to make me less aware of the fact that I hurt and was miserable. The psychiatrist couldn't even diagnose me with depression! I persisted in my search to find a Dr who would first take me seriously and then run whatever tests needed to be done to help me. I didn't care what the name of it was at the time, I just desperately wanted someone to help me feel better. Like I said, it has taken years of suffering but I finally had bloodwork run along with a host of other tests and either way I am just grateful that my Dr is helping me through this. What I have learned is that you need to always believe in yourself and advocate for yourself too. There is a Dr out there who is right for you - you just need to be persistent. I am sorry to hear about your pancreatic issues. I hope that you feel better each day forward. Hang in there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EJRN For This Useful Post:

steve.b (04-16-2012)