Thread: diagnosed with lupus today

Thanks

Default diagnosed with lupus today

Hey all
    I have been diagnosed with lupus today.I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional.And even worst is that my 10 mth old baby boy was admitted to hospital as well today.Some kind of virus,they are doing a few tests to establish what's going on.I have read a few fact sheets on lupus,and to be honest it does sound a bit scary.Hope to get some nice comments back!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First let me welcome you to WHL. I know this is a scary time but remember that Lupus is no longer a death sentence and, with the right medications, most of the time it can be controlled. Try and relax. We are here to help you through.

Hope your son gets better soon!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Jolene,
    Welcome to WHL. This is a very stressful time for you, but as Mari said, once your rheumy finds the right combination of meds for you, you should be doing much better. I hope that your little guy starts feeling better soon. While he's recovering, read through the stickys and the threads here that interest you. Arm yourself with lots of information. Feel free to join in on any thread and ask questions. We'll all be glad to help.
    Stay in touch.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hi jolene.

welcome to we have lupus.
    i hope your baby's problems are short lived.

nothing makes me feel more helpless than seeing my children suffering.

Thanks

[QUOTE=strydomjolene;104301]Hey all
    I have been diagnosed with lupus today.I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional.And even worst is that my 10 mth old baby boy was admitted to hospital as well today.Some kind of virus,they are doing a few tests to establish what's going on.I have read a few fact sheets on lupus,and to be honest it does sound a bit scary.Hope to get some nice comments back![/QUOTE
    Welcome to WHL. I hope your baby is feeling better.

I was diagnosed a little over a year ago and remember feeling just as you did. One of the most important things for me to hear at the time was that there is a humungous range of what, which and how severely people are affected by symptoms. Online, you often hear about those most affected, those who lives and work have been disrupted and/or ravaged by this disease. But not everyone suffers to that extent. You have probably had lupus for some time and so putting a label on it isn't likely to suddenly make these "worst" case scenarios occur. It may absolutely help you to explain what has been going on for some time (it is normal for a woman to have an increase in symptoms after having a baby and to have felt pretty good while pregnant - as our auto-immune systems are reduced at that time.

If you are craving information then a good book is "The Lupus Book" by Dr. Wallace. Also you may find local support groups or organizations in your area where you could connect with someone in real life who has lupus. One of the biggest surprises I faced after diagnosis was when I started to tell people, how many of them knew others who has lupus. Others who had careers and multiple children, even grandchildren and all sorts of the things that I was initially paralyzed with fear about. It can be overwhelming so if you decide to take it slow and learn things as you go, that is fine too.

You may even though you are already diagnosed want to keep a journal of your symptoms for a month or two so that you can relate those that are linked to lupus. You can also identify patterns and see what you can do to help your body to have fewer flares. The common advice is almost laughable as it applies to every person on this earth not only lupus patients "reduce stress, eat well, exercise moderately"....BUt you may see that when you are overtired or worrying about work, etc that you have more symptoms. I hope that you are mildly affected by this disease but take comfort in the fact that if your body starts to go into one of these scary reactions, that at least the doctors will be armed with the knowledge that you have lupus.

take care of yourself and that baby.
    bunny

Thanks

Welcome! I was recently diagnosed and I'm still scared! I freak out every time something seems different. I learned yesterday that I still can't do a lot of things. I have only been on my medicine for 4 weeks now and still have to wait months to see the full benefit of it. you will find this website and the people to be very helpful and supportive!

I hope your baby is going to be okay. Please keep us posted.

Stephanie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Strydomjolene,

Welcome to WHL. Feeling overwhelmed and emotional is to be expected, and is a normal part of the process of accepting a new, and scary diagnosis. As time goes on and you start to get your symptoms under control, the monster that is Lupus shrinks and loses many of it's teeth. It's a difficult process, but hang in there. Things will get better.

In regards to your son, I hope it's nothing serious, and that he comes home soon.

Rob

Thanks

hello jolene welcome to whl family i think we are all scared and shocked at first but there is some great people here who will help you navigate your way through this process hugs kim