Thread: Question for ladies with hair loss.

Thanks

Default Question for ladies with hair loss.

I have had hair thinning since I had my son almost four years ago. I was just recently diagnosed with Cutaneous Lupus and Sjogren's. I am wondering at what point did you (if you did) decide to get a wig or hair piece. I just started plaquenil not even a month ago and I realize it takes time to work. I have very little confidence that my hair will 1. stop falling out or 2. grow back.

Would a hair piece exacerbate the thinning? My loss is largely on the sides and top and imagine any clips would most certainly pull more out. I read today about wigs that you put on with adhesive or that has a gripper type way of staying on. It was suggested to shave the remaining thin hair off to help secure these types. I thought I had made peace with this and what might come but the thought of the reality of it is making me very sad.

Please share a bit of your journey and experience with me. I know everyone is different. I guess I will know when the loss is so great that I must do something.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yea the hair loss sucks! I was like 15 when it happened to me and kids were so mean, but eventually it started to grow back on it's own. Have you tried that regrowth treatment? It worked pretty good for me.

Thanks

Tell me more! Regrowth treatment?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I did something temporary until I knew if the thinning would stop. I permed my hair lol. I hadn't done it in years but, with the perm, when I straighten it it begins to look almost normal. My hair stopped falling out and even thickened up a bit however all my meds have made it brittle.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can't think of the name but it's like rogaine for women. I'm pretty sure they have better stuff out now since the last time I used it but you should find stuff like that at any drug store. Now like tgal I had a big problem with my hair becoming brittle and just snapping off so I used that hot oil treatment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I did something temporary until I knew if the thinning would stop. I permed my hair lol. I hadn't done it in years but, with the perm, when I straighten it it begins to look almost normal. My hair stopped falling out and even thickened up a bit however all my meds have made it brittle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica View Post
    I can't think of the name but it's like rogaine for women. I'm pretty sure they have better stuff out now since the last time I used it but you should find stuff like that at any drug store. Now like tgal I had a big problem with my hair becoming brittle and just snapping off so I used that hot oil treatment.

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think I could pull off a perm, but I did have one long ago! I do color it though and when my roots are dark, it really accentuates the thinness. I did find a product called Derm-something. Okay, that's not helpful is it? But you apply it on the thin areas so that the whitness of one's scalp is not as obvious. I may give it a try. It's pretty expensive though.

I was told by my Derm that I could try Rogaine but if you ever stop, it all falls out again. So I hate the thought of spending so much money and then if I cannot keep funding it, to lose any progress.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wowthird View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think I could pull off a perm, but I did have one long ago! I do color it though and when my roots are dark, it really accentuates the thinness. I did find a product called Derm-something. Okay, that's not helpful is it? But you apply it on the thin areas so that the whitness of one's scalp is not as obvious. I may give it a try. It's pretty expensive though.

I was told by my Derm that I could try Rogaine but if you ever stop, it all falls out again. So I hate the thought of spending so much money and then if I cannot keep funding it, to lose any progress.

Thanks again!

Hmmmm I guess I never had that problem but it was like rogaine but for women so I don't know if it was different.