Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

wishing you a peaceful day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

rob (04-05-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Well, we made it through Tuesday's visiting hours, and Wednesday's memorial service for Dad. Scores of people came from both near and far, and the outpouring of love and support from friends both old, and new, was absolutely uplifting.

I discovered something quite surprising and remarkable. I thought that the last two days would be just heart wrenching and terribly difficult. They were anything but. The best way to describe the service was that the laughter to tears ratio was ten to one. There certainly were solemn moments that brought a tear to many an eye, but there were far more moments that brought laughter, smiles, and inspiration.

Many people spoke, including me. I was afraid I would break down while speaking, but my fears were unfounded. Once I looked out upon everyone there, and saw nothing but smiles, I was home free, and the stories just flowed.

I knew that my father touched many lives in a positive way, but I didn't realize just how many until yesterday. The pastor who conducted the service said that he had never before seen such an uplifting and positive service. At the end of it, we played my father's favorite song, a song that describes my father's outlook on life perfectly- Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.

Yesterday afternoon, for the first time in weeks, my family and I felt peace, and a degree of happiness. That's what Dad would have wanted.

Thank you all again for all of your prayers, kind words, and support,

Rob & Family

PS-Bonusmom, we did indeed drive the Rolls yesterday, and we did had a few pints of Guinness afterwards. I couldn't find my AC/DC CD though!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

running girl (04-06-2012), Saysusie (04-08-2012)

Thanks

Hi Rob,

I am glad that you have made it through those difficult days and actually feel at peace.
    It really sounds, like the service was beautiful, just like your dad deserved it.
    We are all still here, if you need us.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

rob (04-05-2012)

Thanks

So pleased you found peace as you honored your beloved father.

And you had it all wrong in looking for a AC/DC CD--you shoulda been looking for the 8 track ;-)!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

rob (04-05-2012)

Thanks

What a wonderful way to pay tribute to your father and his life. I am so sorry for your loss. I am also so happy to hear that you are celebrating his life in such an amazing way. Sending you courage and strength as you approach the coming days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bunny28 For This Useful Post:

rob (04-05-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

i am glad you were able to celebrate the life that was your fathers.

i have unforunatelly seen people lost in sorrow and self pity of what they have lost.
    it is far better to celebrate the life that was.
    especially for someone like your dad who touched so many lives.

he made you.........
    and i like what i "see"
    he had to be a good man for that alone.

enjoy your memories...
    and treasure his wisdom.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (04-05-2012), rob (04-06-2012)

Thanks

Rob...what a wonderful service. I can envision, the smiles, the tears, the laughter...your Dad's legacy being told.....tights hugs.

P.S. On a more personal note, I sent you a PMer.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

rob (04-06-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Well, it's now been exactly one week. I keep having these incredibly realistic dreams right before I wake in the morning. I dream that Dad is calling me saying he's OK and will be home from the hospital soon. And there's another one where I look out to see his car in my driveway, the shop doors are open, and he's out there working on the last car restoration we started together. They are so real that I believe they are true for a few minutes after I wake. Then reality hits me, it hits me hard.

I've decided that I'm going to finish our final car project for Dad, but I can't go out in the shop yet. All of his tools are laid out, the portable work light is still hanging under the open hood of the car, and his workstool is still there, all exactly as he left it the last time he was here. I keep hoping to see his car pull into my driveway, but I know it never will.

There is an absence and void in my life that can never be filled. I miss my Dad terribly.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-06-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks

I know you miss your Dad, Rob...and yours and his plans...future. I am sorry.

I know those vivid dreams, they are nice aren't they. They bring comfort and reality all at the same time...wow. Amazing how two opposite emotions can run parallel with each other. Eventually they will merge with acceptance. I know in time, it will bring more comfort and not such pain of reality. It may feel like it won't now, but it does. Little by little we begin to laugh out loud as we remember them and without such pain from the missing. You will always miss him, the pain will lessen. All will be well...it will, Rob...hugs..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

rob (04-06-2012)