Thread: I think I like my new rheumy!!!

Thanks

Wink I think I like my new rheumy!!!

So, yesterday was the day of meeting my new rheum. And...

I really liked him!!!

He took me off the meloxciam and put me on the some low-dose prednisone to see if it helps with the joint pain at all. I LOVE their office, they have a lab and x-ray there. He did a full body exam of my joints, and x-ray both hands and both knees, as well as my chest. He also got some more bloodwork as well as a confirmation of my current labs.

He thinks the chest/shoulder pain is pleurisy. If nothing shows up on the x-ray (Which I don't think will... I just had one a month ago and it was normal..) He wants to do a CT for a better view.

For now, he's thinking it's either Lupus, Scleroderma, or.. Both. Which is known as Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. At this point I don't really care which it is, as long as we start trying out the different meds.

To sum it up, he was geat. My appt. was at 1:30, we were seen at 1:45. I didn't leave there until 4.. Most of that time was spent with him or his staff. I couldn't be happier.

Let's see how the pred. works out though..

PS.. Any warning signs or tips I should look for if he seems to be a bad doc.? I'm a newbie when it comes to scoping out good docs I suppose.. Maybe I'm just being naive and I liked him based off of pure friendliness LOL. Thoughts?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,074 Posts

i am glad all went well.
    i, like you, am more concerned on getting the meds right, rather than what they call it.
    a name is nice, but meds are much better.

sounds like the doc knew his stuff.
    to do 2 hours worth of tests is good.
    hopefully he can rule out enough to know exactly what to do next.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (03-30-2012)

Thanks

Lexie,
    Good for you! So far, he sounds much like the good rheumy that I had in SA. She also has a lab and lots of equipment in her office and makes good use of it. Every visit, I saw either the rheumy or her nurse practitioner. A nurse always took my vitals, and I filled out a questionnaire about where my pain was at the time. The lab tech was outstanding, and she took at least a sample each visit - the doc was adamant about checking bloodwork every 4-6 weeks. Every time I had an appointment with the doc herself, she took plenty of time with me, answered all of my questions, and coordinated with my PCP. (They are friends).
    The rheumy that I have now barely spends 5 minutes with me twice a year. She usually doesn't touch me, unless she checks my hands for swelling, which I never have. I haven't had my vitals checked in over 18 months, so I check my own BP regularly at the pharmacy. She doesn't have a lab or equipment beyond the usual exam rooms. She has no nurses, let alone a nurse practitioner working with her - just a couple of receptionists. She only orders lab work once a year, even for someone taking MTX. I only go back to get my prescriptions written, and otherwise ignore her. She's the sort of rheumy to run away from, except that in my area, there are only three, and the other two are known to be a bit senile. (The only dermatologist in the area who accepts the military insurance is so old and shaky, I've had friends tell me that they are putting off getting moles removed until their husbands get transferred).
    I hope that this tells you some things to look for. Here's hoping that you've found a gem!
    Hugs,
    Marla

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (03-30-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's a good thing you like him. I hate mine and it makes it an added stress with this disease.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-02-2012)

Thanks

So glad you have found a good doctor! Hope the prednisone gives you some relief. It most definitely did for me when I took it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marine wife For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (04-02-2012)

Thanks

That is great news!! Im so glad you found someone who is willing to take some time to help you!! terrific!! hope you are feeling better soon & good luck!