Thread: neck/throat discomfort

Thanks

Default neck/throat discomfort

the past few days i've been getting neck/throat discomfort. it's not pain, but when I lay down it feels like i've got alot of pressure on my throat..which makes it feel like it's hard to breath.. idk if that makes sense, idk how to describe it.. it is very scary..i can breath but it just feels like i have to keep straightening up my neck..idk, does anybody else ever get this sensation??
    lisa
    dx with sle 02/2012 on 10 mg prednisone, 20 mgs simvistatin 7.5 mg meloxicam ,400mg plaquenil,12.5 mgs methotrexate

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

lisa,
    i have not heard of this before.

but remember lupus can make any muscle inflamed.
    the throat is a collection of muscles.
    please keep a careful eye on restricted airway.
    go to emergency if required.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (03-28-2012)

Thanks

Hi Lisa,

Do you have any thyroid issues? Hashimoto's perhaps?

There is a link between discomfort in that area and an inflamed thyroid gland. It's easy for a doctor to test your thyroid, and they should test your thyroid antibodies too.

I have Hashimoto's, an auto immune thyroid disorder, and I just take thyroxin to replace the thyroxin my body should produce.

Steve's point is also very valid too, I think it's easy to forget that Lupus can affect any part of our bodies, not just joints, major organs and skin.

I hope your issue is resolved soon, best of luck.
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shine For This Useful Post:

E42brchick (04-28-2012)

Thanks

Hi Lisa,

I agree with the others, it could be so many things including thyroid. I have a very similar sensation that is worse when lying down, but I also have pericarditits. I had a barium swallow to make sure it wasn't involving my esophagus. I do have a tiny bit of reflux, but the doctors don't think that is the cause. So far they think it is either referred from the pericarditis or adenitis (general swelling of glands).

I will let you know if I find out anything else. I am going to a large referral hospital in Manhattan in a few weeks (Hospital for Special Surgery) and seeing the chief rheumatologist there! The neck pressure is on my list of questions.

I would definitely let your doctor know about the pressure. I did have to tell mine about 3-4 times before he started to take me seriously and start investigating it.

Good luck and hopefully feeling better soon!

Heather

Thanks

There are also glands in the neck and throat that some AI diseases, such as SJogren's, can cause to swell and hurt.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Still having the neck pressure? My referral appointment was next to useless. I didn't get to ask any of my questions about pericarditis and never got to the neck pressure. However, I wanted to let you know in reading that I found out neck pressure can be the only sign (no burning sensation) of GERD. I am already on omeprazole, but I do have an appointment with a GI doctor in June to investigate further if it doesn't improve.

Whatever th cause, I hope you are feeling better!

Thanks

I have the exact same issue you are describing. The PCP and rheumy both said GERD.. I am on omeprazole.. Which does nothing. Sometimes I get food stuck (not to the point of choking, though).. Sometimes post nasal drip just pools in my throat.. Do you ever experience any of that?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

I actually have this same exact issue. Feels kind of like there is a kink in the throat. One of my docs thought it was something called Vocal Chord Dysfunction.

My thyroid tests and ultrasound were normal. And it isn't Acid Reflux for me at least.

Thanks

Yeah, I don't feel like I have reflux either. My x-ray and barium swallow was normal too.. So I don't see how it could possibly be GERD either.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

thanks for the info guys!!where my thyroid is is a little swollen..i had my levels checked before but they were normal..i wonder if its cause of the prednisone?? idk..i go to the dr on the 10th of may so i'll update more then
    lisa
    dx with sle 02/2012 on 10 mg prednisone, 20 mgs simvistatin 7.5 mg meloxicam ,400mg plaquenil,12.5 mgs methotrexate