Thread: Oxycontin

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Oxycontin

Hi,

Does anyone take oxycontin for pain management?
    Gloria

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

OxyContin contains oxycodone, a very strong narcotic pain reliever similar to morphine (an opiate). OxyContin is designed so that the oxycodone is slowly released over time, allowing it to be used twice daily. You should never break, chew, or crush the OxyContin tablet since this causes a large amount of oxycodone to be released from the tablet all at once, potentially resulting in a dangerous or fatal drug overdose. OxyContin is intended to help relieve pain, especially long term pain like that in Lupus: pain every day that lasts for a large part of the day, is moderate or severe in intensity, depending upon other factors in your medical history.
    Taking OxyContin daily can result in physical dependence, a condition in which the body shows signs of narcotic withdrawal if the OxyContin is stopped suddenly. This is not the same thing as addiction, which represents a situation in which people obtain and take narcotics because of a psychological need, and not just to treat a legitimate painful condition. Physical dependence can be treated by slowly under the advice of a physician by slowing decreasing the OxyContin dose when it is no longer needed for the treatment of pain. Concerns of addiction should not prevent patients with appropriate pain conditions from using OxyContin or other narcotics for pain relief.

I hope this has been helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Oxycontin

I take oxycontin for pain mgmt but it's for healing from MRSA. I had hip surgery in Jan, got a staph infection in Feb, went through 3 mos of wound care and then ended up with MRSA in May. I'm currently on percocet, oxycontin and fentanyl. I'm working on weaning off these medications as I'm going back to work next week.

For lupus and the joint pain and migraine headaches, I take several medications but fortunately the medication that helps the most for joint pain is Advil liquigels. I'm hoping to get my hip wound healed quickly so I can get off the narcotics.
    Catlady4520