Thread: Low body temperature

Hybrid View

Thanks

Angry Low body temperature

I invested in getting a thermometer, since I know a lot of you have frequent low-grade fevers.

I was shocked to find that my temp. was a low 96.2 F. I chalked it up to be because of some water I must of drank or something. But everyday after that I'd check, and it's always in the 96.0 F - 97.0 F range. I know normal body temp. ranges from person to perosn, but that just seems a little low. But hell what do I know!

But, today, I had a temp of 99.0 F. I know technically that isn't a fever yet, but would it be? Since my normal temp seems to be a 96.5 F, that would mean I have a fever? I NEVER get fevers, ever. Or do I? Maybe I've had em' all along, but they seemed normal because we are all under the assumption that 'normal body temperature' doesn't vary from person to person.

Thoughts?
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

I have very low body temp as well. Do you take your temp axillary?

Thanks

I feel healthy around 97 (oral). If I'm 98.6 I have a low-grade fever and feel crummy. It's been that way at least since High School.

When you go to the doc, make sure they take your temp. Over the years they will have a good record, then...and will be able to see that probably if you're at 99 or 100, you're pretty sick.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yea my temp is low too.

Thanks

I take mine oral. I've been meaning to get my temp. immediately after they take mine to see if they match up but the nurse never tells me and I always have brain fog lol.
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Lexie,
    Many people have lower than average body temps. 98.6 is just the average. My hubby has a low body temp, and several of our kids inherited it from him. It was really frustrating for them when dealing with school nurses. The nurse would refuse to send them home, or even to call me, if they didn't have a "high enough" temperature to be called a fever. I could walk in and tell by looking at my kid that he/she was really sick. We had to get the pediatrician to document the low normal body temps for my kids.
    I think that you have the right idea by documenting it for yourself. Try taking it at the same time each day for a while (temp can vary at different times of day) and chart it. It can help you to understand your own body better.
    Hugs,
    Marla

7. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (03-30-2012)