Thread: migraine munchies

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default migraine munchies

As soon as a migraine aura hits, I pop 10-20 mg Toradol and 99% of the time the toradol kills the migraine before it goes full blown. There is a side effect to the toradol. I call it the "migraine munchies". Holy moly, bring on the munchies and no one will get hurt! Give me chocolate, potato chips, pizza, donuts, a loaf of bread, each slice well buttered. I want cookies, cake, Fritos, Cheetos ... JUNK FOOD!!!!!!!!Nothing healthy, nothing low fat or fat free. I want the calories, I want the carbs, I want the greasy goodness! It's unbelievable! I got hit with an aura at work this morning. Toradol kicked it thank God but my lunch break to the local grocery store: Fritos, powdered donuts, potato wedges and fried chicken. And raspberry ice tea. That will hold me until I get home tonight! Mind you, I don't normally eat like that. I try to eat healthy well balanced diet but when the migraine munchies hit all bets are off. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to bury my face in the powdered donut bag...
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I am not sure if you know it or not but most migraines have a "trigger food". If your body is set up for a migraine it usually takes the "trigger food" to set it off. One of the main ones is chocolate (that's mind) although my grandmother's was pasta sauce or any kind of tomato sauce and I know there are others. I had migraines all of my life and a doctor years ago told me that no matter how much I wanted it I could not let myself have chocolate or I would explode with a full blown migraine. He was right. I will also add that people in my house have to hide chocolate from me when one is coming because I have torn up a house to get some.

You might want to try figuring out what your trigger food is and see what happens if you don't eat it.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been keeping a migraine diary for years, decades actually. They started after I fractured my skull when I was 14 thanks to a hard mouthed obnoxious Quarter Horse. My neck vertebrae look like a train derailment. I can go months without a migraine then I'll have a spell when I'll get them every day for a couple days up to a week or 2. Toradol kills the aura and Atenolol for my high blood pressure acts also as a prophylaxis.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Maybe if you try packing a lunch with foods that are good for you, you might be able to resist the urge to go out and buy the junk food?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

No way! If I have to deal with a migraine then I'm going to eat all the junk food I want!