Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MARATHON

Thanks

Default MARATHON

no laughing!!! I am planning to run the Disney Marathon in January 2008 to raise money for lupus.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about forming a Lupus team?? Anyone want to join me?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi KCw9hurricane:
    Where is the marathon being run? Is there a web-site that we can go to for details about the marathon? This is the first I've heard about it and would like to participate.
    Sorry, I know nothing about how to put a team together. Perhaps someone else will have some information for you :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

There are always marathons. I want to run the Disney marathon in Florida. People form teams and run for many different reasons. I want to either form a team to run for Lupus or run myself and raise money.

Disney has a marathon every January. This January just isn't do-able for me but I can plan for next January. The trail runs through all the theme parks and is mainly flat.

The web site is www.disneyworldsports.com.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank You So much for the information. I am really excited about doing the exact same thing out here in California! :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi there Hurricane!
    I was so excited to see this post topic!! (Can you tell by all the exclamation points!!) I was just diagnosed with lupus at the end of April and I am still coming to terms with what it is going to mean for my life and my future.

But I have always wanted to run a marathon - it was one of the dreams that I put off until "later." Now that I have gotten sick I have been so depressed about the fact that I might never do it.

But if you are serious about going after this, I would love to be on your team and share training goals and support each other.

Just think of it - a whole team of Lupies running a marathon!! - this is the most excited I have been about the future since I got this diagnosis!!

Thanks

I have to tell you...your excitement gets me excited about the future. On days when I hardly have enough energy to climb the steps, I still look forward to running.

I started running at the age of 29 when I had a heart attack for the first time. I was 270 lbs and the doc said either lose the wt or die. I am now 153 and still losing. Now that there is an even better reason to run, I am so excited that someone might join me.

I am in PA. If you aren't close by, we can still run "together" and plan for the marathon...any marathon.

I look forward to talking to you more.

Thanks

WOW! That is a great accomplishment!! You should be so proud of you. Running gets addicting doesn't it?

I started running about five years ago, and have been "on and off" since then, but always think about doing a marathon some day. I have only worked up to the point of running about 5 miles three days a week, then I end up slacking again. I was just starting to go back to running when I got sick with this whole mess - but I'm ready to try again. I don't know how much I can do, but now I am motivated to go give it a try (as soon as I get out of bed and shut down this laptop. LOL)

I am in Washington State so we won't be able to do too much training together, but, hey - that's what's so great about the internet! My best friends are all people I met on line, and are all over the country. Makes for lots of good vacations!

The Disney Marathon sounds like a good one - I liked your description of the course - since I mostly run on a flat track, I HATE hills.

I think it will be really motivating to us, and to anyone else diagnosed with lupus to know that you can still follow your dreams. Plus maybe we can raise some serious funds and awareness of lupus.

LET'S DO IT!

Thanks

HI Sheryl, I sent you a personal message. Let me know if you got it or not!!!

Thanks

Well, no running for me today. After a month of recovering from my symptoms, I had a pretty major relapse yesterday. I'm sort of back to square one - but I WILL do this.

I need to get the doc on the phone as soon as they open. Probably more prednisone.

Does anyone else have a lot of negative side effects from prednisone? Last time I got a horrible itchy rash over my whole body, plus night sweats by the gallon and serious insomnia.... yuck. I thought the cure was worse than the sickness but after 24 hours of back pain I'm changing my mind.

Thanks

I have heard horror stories of prednisone. I refused to let them put me on it out of fear.

No running for me either. I spent my day in the ER. I was having SVT's and arrythmias. May put me on beta blockers to keep my heart regular since I have already had 2 heart attacks. I am feeling ok just a little chest pain but hey, like they say, I'm above grass so all is well.