Thread: Hello from sunny Florida

Thanks

Smile Hello from sunny Florida

Hello everyone! I'm a 38 years old and was diagnosed with Lupus earlier this month. I have come to the conclusion that I am so very lucky that my diagnosis came quickly after reading about so many that have waited a long time and are still waiting to get their diagnosis. My pain started in early December of last year in one finger and within a week I had joint pain and swelling in all the normal places. My doctor was very quick to act and sent me to be tested for RA and Lupus. My ana was of course elevated and she sent me to a rheumy and he ran more tests for Lupus and any virus that he thought might possibly explain my symptoms. And every test for Lupus came back positive. I am taking 7.5mg of Meloxicam and 200 mg of Plaquenil and my joint pain is now gone. Headaches are another story!

I find that, and I am sure this is normal, every pain or every time something with me seems out of the norm I worry that it's the Lupus. This is all very scary and uncharted territory for me and my family.

I am also already tired of people telling me that they know someone that has Lupus and they live a perfectly normal life. I wish people understood that this disease affects everyone differently and that everyone's journey is different and unique.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hi marine wife,
    welcome to your new cyber family.

YES, we do understand.
    Yes, i know someone with lupus who lives a normal life.
    unfortunatelly, i also know someone who died from the complications of lupus.

as your name is marine wife, am i right to think you have a husband who is in the marines?
    i am ex military in australia.
    we also have other serving and ex military members.

once again welcome.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Marine wife (03-26-2012)

Thanks

Hello marine wife!

I myself have roots down in Florida, I grew up in Boca Raton and West Palm. I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but glad to hear the meloxicam is working for you. I've been on it for a month now and my joint pain is almost worst! Before that it was celebrex.

Welcome to WHL!!!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome! My husband is a no longer active duty but once a Marine, always a Marine. We miss the military dearly! Glad to see there are other military members on here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marine wife For This Useful Post:

tgal (03-26-2012)

Thanks

Do you miss Florida? I would prefer somewhere cooler at times.

I started on just Meloxicam at first and it helped but not enough. The Plaquenil along with it have worked wonders! I hope you can get the joint pain under control soon. Have you tried Plaquenil? It seems like most everyone is one it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marine wife For This Useful Post:

tripLexie (03-27-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marine wife View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome! My husband is a no longer active duty but once a Marine, always a Marine. We miss the military dearly! Glad to see there are other military members on here.
    Hi,

My father is a Marine. And you are right-Once a Marine, always a Marine. I was a rebellious young

man when I turned 18, I therefore joined the Army instead! (He forgave me, eventually) insert smiley face

Welcome to WHL. Please make yourself at home here,

Rob

Thanks

Welcome
    My son finished his 4 yr commitment as a sgt in the marines and is now going to collage-but even now I can see its true once a marine always a marine . it has made quite an impact on his life.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Welcome to WHL. We are glad to have you as a part of our family
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I do miss Florida, lots. My mom is there still and sometimes I wish I was down there to have her support more. But hey, I did get a white Christmas here in west Texas this year, can't complain!

I see my first rheumy this Thursday so I'm gonna mention the plaquenil for sure!
    "Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."
    -Robert Eliot

Dx: Potential Lupus, Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease

Rx: Prednisone 5mg 1x daily, Lyrica 75mg 2x daily, Omeprazole 200mg 1x daily, Xanax .5mg prn

Thanks

Hi Marine wife!
    Welcome to WHL from an AF wife! We are currently living on the Central Coast of California while my hubby works on a PHD at the Naval Postgraduate School. This is a purple command - we have students here from all branches of the service and quite a few from foreign services. I love to see people's faces when I tell them my hubby is an AF officer who attends a Navy school and we are living on an Army installation. I'm on the executive board of the Officers' Spouses Club, and I've learned a lot about the other branches from the other wives.
    My son is a Marine - he was one of the first to enter Iraq a few years ago. He's now a young computer executive in Houston, and still "hangs" with a group of Marine buddies. I also have a son-in-law who is an Airman. He served in Afghanistan, and they are about to move to Ramstein, Germany this summer.
    I definitely understand the military life!
    We also have family in Florida. My mother-in-law lived in Tavares. My father-in-law lives somewhere near Miami, and two of my hubby's brothers live near Jacksonville. They are all New Yorkers who migrated south.
    I'm glad that you got such a quick diagnosis and I hope that you get it all under control very soon.
    Hugs,
    Marla

14. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Marine wife (03-29-2012)