Thread: New girl on the block

Thanks

Default New girl on the block

Hello, I've been poking around here for a few weeks. I was dx'd with Lupus back in 2002 and what an awful time that was. I do pretty good now and for the most part in remission. I have little flares every now and then but nothing I cant handle. I have two beautiful healthy daughters and two beautiful healthy granddaughters. Oh how I love being a grandma, it has to be the best job in the world, I love those little girls more than I ever thought I could. I work and thank goodness I am healthy enough to do one of my favorite things...run! I'm not fast and I have to be extra careful but it's my drug of choice. So thats me in a nutshell!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

i said hello on your first post....
    but as this is your hello thread...

hi runnergirl68.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to WHL! I am so glad that you decided to join in! Make yourself at home and I look forward to getting to know you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

welcome to whl family.

Thanks

Hi RunnerGirl68,

Welcome! I also love to run. I am super slow but am trying to keep running as part of my life. I'm really struggling to find the right balance. Too much really sets me back.

Anyway, I'm glad you found us. I look forward to getting to know you.

Brenda

Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Brenda,

My husband and I ran our first half marathon a year and a half ago! It was so awesome, the feeling of euphoira crossing that finish line and knowing I just ran 13.1 miles! My time wasnt very good but I wasnt the last one to come in!!!! Then I had a flare that lasted about a year but I'm feeling good and back into it!!! A few years back my husband and I ran the local 5 mile Turkey Trot and I had an 80 year old man pass us at mile 4...lol, talk about sloooooowwwwwww. I LOVE to run and I take an ice bath after every long run to keep inflammation down on my joints. So glad to hear a fellow Lupie is still able to hold on their passion. Good luck to you!

Thanks

A Marathon! WOW!! Good for you.

I've never done one, but I have done a number of half marathons. My last one was last spring when I had just learned I had lupus. It was difficult and afterwards my running just got worse and worse. I stopped completely by the fall. In December I came into the most lovely remission. So I signed up for a couple more half marathons and started training pretty hard. Alas, I think I over did it. I probably won't run those races. sigh.

My goal now is to run short distances every other day. When I'm not running I tend to start feeling sorry for myself, so I think if I just keep moving I'll do OK. I too enjoy a good ice bath. LOL.

Do you have any more big runs scheduled? Seriously you should be so proud.

Brenda

Thanks

Noooooooo....not a full Marathon, a half marathon. LOL I wish!!!!! It was my first. My husband and I agreed to run short distance (10k or less) races but I doubt I do another half (unless I do the Disney)!!! I will sign up for a few 10k's for the fall but other than that I'm running just for the shear thrill of it. There is a race coming up called "The Color Run" and it looks like a lot of fun, you'll have to google it. I bet there are some people on here who think were nuts...hehe. Like you, if I don't run a few days a week I start getting down but at my age (44) things are wearing down anyway =) As long as my legs carry me, I will be out there on the roads with my running shoes laced up.

Thanks

Ok - that's the brain fog. I missed the half. Either way - good job. The Color Run looks like a ton of fun. You should do it. I don't see a location in Canada, perhaps I should suggest one. lol. I live in Ontario, and have registered for a run across the country in Vancouver. I'm not sure I will be able to do the run, but I will certainly go and cheer my buddies on. My daughter is considering doing it for me, if I can't. That would be nice.

I'm 47 and know what you mean about wearing down. lol.

Anyway - nice chatting with you. Keep on truckin'!

Brenda