Thread: trying to make the right decision on medication before morning

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question trying to make the right decision on medication before morning

tomorrow I go to the doctor that is in charge of my lupus and we have been discussing changing my meds, don't feel that the plaqulin is working right. the doctor has talked about changing it to methotrexate or even trying the new lupus drug benlysta. I have studied both along with my mom and my daughter. I need to make my mind up before tomorrow.

Well I have basically made my mind up and to go with the methotrexate for now. But I still worry that I am not making the right decision. My husband says that it is up to me and what I feel is right. Only I know what is going on. But I am still frightened and keep worrying about this decision.

I just need some input on this before I go tomorrow maybe I would feel better.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have never heard of a doctor removing someone from plaquinel to put them on methotrexate without there being a problem with the persons reaction to MTX. Usually it is added to the plaquenil and it replaces steroids if they are being used. I am on all 3 actually and I haven't had any problems with the MTX. The first few weeks i felt bad for about 24 hours. Now I take them at night and the worst of it is over by morning. I am not saying your doctor is wrong I am just saying it is a way I have never heard of.

As far as the benlysta... I can't answer that because it really only works on certain types of patients. Only your doctor will know if you fit that category. I am sure you will come to the right decision after talking to your doctor
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i use plaquenil daily,
    and mtx weekly.

they work very well for me.

i cannot comment on benlysta.
    but i am happy with mtx and plaquenil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well he wants me to stay on the panquenil along with steriods and methotrexate, we had to do something I had got so bad that I couldn't do anything for my self in the morning. We are still going to keep the idea of the benlysta in the back of our heads if this does not work.
    thanks for the feed back. I hope this changes things.
    My problem is that I don't have insurance and the doctors are trying to work with me having little money.Hoping that my disability kicks in and helps out.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaann View Post
    well he wants me to stay on the panquenil along with steriods and methotrexate, we had to do something I had got so bad that I couldn't do anything for my self in the morning. We are still going to keep the idea of the benlysta in the back of our heads if this does not work.
    thanks for the feed back. I hope this changes things.
    My problem is that I don't have insurance and the doctors are trying to work with me having little money.Hoping that my disability kicks in and helps out.
    I am in the exact same spot. I don't have insurance either. I finally got my disability but I have to wait two years from the time I first went on disability (diagnosed not accepted) to get my medicare! That will be October but I have to say... it has been a rough two years!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~