Thread: Swelling fingers, feet at night

Thanks

Default Swelling fingers, feet at night

So I often notice when I wake up at night that my fingers are swollen to the point that my wedding ring hurts and/or I can't get it off. Also sometimes when I get up to use the washroom, my feet feel like I am walking on puffy, uneven soles that almost burn when I walk on solid surfaces. I have no idea if this is SLE, or age or pre-menopausal stuff? ( I mention the last one as I am mid 30s but when mentioned I was having night sweats (not anymore) my doc made me wonder if this was just inevitable)

I am not overly concerned but as I have no physician's appointments currently scheduled for a few months, am wondering if I need to mention it to someone sooner. It goes away fairly quickly once I am up and moving for the day.

Thanks,
    Bunny

Thanks

Bunny,
    We've had a lot of conversations here about swollen fingers and feet. My feet are exactly like you described, but mine get swollen and numb when I drive or stand on my feet too long also. Mine seems to be Raynaud's Syndrome, which is another one of those AI "friends" that likes to accompany Lupus and Sjogren's.
    Stiff and swollen fingers can be a symptom of quite a few things - Raynaud's, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, etc.
    We've had 20 year old members here complaining of night sweats. It also seems to be common with AI diseases. I'm 54, and I'm currently going through menopause. I've also had docs try to brush it off as "just a part of your age". They said the same thing about the bladder spasms and incontinence that I'm dealing with. I've found that night sweats are common with AI diseases and that bladder spasms are common with Spastic Paraplegia, which one of my docs thinks that I have. I think that the old "just menopause" thing is just an easy out for some docs who don't want to deal with our symptoms.
    I think that you should document all of your symptoms and then bring it up at your next appointment.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

bunny28 (03-23-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

i have the same issues.
    i have lupus and fibro.

when i mentioned this to my rhuemy, he suggested that i take my anti inflamitory (celebrex) at night.
    this will help with the days activities.

i still get swelling overnight, but it is not as bad.
    i currently have more issues with my feet, than my fingers.

i believe, in my case, it is a normal part of lupus/fibro and nothing to be over concerned about.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

bunny28 (03-23-2012)

Thanks

Thanks everyone! You have reassured me. I am feeling "really good" right now (though I fear I may have jinxed that by saying it) so I think I will keep my eye on things and just mention them at my next appointment. Thanks everyone!

Thanks

Night sweats, hot flashes, swelling, all of the above lol all of it is somehow lupus related for me. I'm only 19 I don't think menopause is an option for me lol
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit2 View Post
    .... I'm only 19 I don't think menopause is an option for me lol
    you have been missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, i am male so i also doubt menapause is an option for me

Thanks

I agree lol it would be odd if it was :P My rheum always says she thinks I have some kind of autonomic involvement causing it
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit